HAIR ALGAE OR CYANO BACTERIA! HELP!

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I can't get rid of this stuff. I initially thought it was cyano bacteria but the parameters are good. Now I'm thinking it might be hair algae. I vac it out and 6 hours later it's back. My tank is an up and cycled, 340 gallon planted with just over 2 watts a gallon. It has been set up since early Salgae 1.jpgSeptember and the sump was seeded with cultured media from some canisters. The substate is top soil/vermiculite, with less than a teaspoon of osmacote/sq ft, topped with sand, laterite, topped with 150 lbs of pea gravel and 60 lbs of flourite. I initially thought that the substate was putting out too many nutrients for the plants but my neighbor, who helped me set it up has been doing this in his Discus tanks forever with no problems. There's no phosphate and very low nitrate. The stuff started on the gravel so I have been vacc'ing it 3x a week with water changes, added carbon, filter socks/floss and 2 addional power heads for more circulation. I cut back the lights to 5 hours a day and haven't been fertilizing. Since I added the powerheads a couple days ago I have noticed very small, straight, green rods of algae floating. The fish are all doing well (even the 50 or so rummynose) and I'm not overfeeding. I'm at my wits end! Any ideas?

algae 2.jpg

algae 1.jpg

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
Sounds like you have done everything that I would suggest to fix it. Only other thing I can think of is to add some amano shrimp, they would chomp down on some of that algae. I hear the hair algae is hard to get rid of but keep strong and give it some time, things should balance out soon. I'm betting the algae is using the last of its resources to keep up with your vacuming.

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
I was having what looks and sounds to be the same problem but added mollies (they had to come in anyway). They destroyed the stuff.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Thanks, I appreciate it. It does come off in sheets. I'm almost positive it's cyanobacteria. Has anyone ever used Maracyn? I read a little on other forums but wasn't sure on the dosage/time. It's pretty expensive so I don't want to do too much. Also worried about the livestock.

lipadj46

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2011
queensbury
maracyn 2 is more effective for gram negative bacteria but it will seriously degrade your bio filter. Oh and yeah that is cyano.

octavusprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2010
sacramento
I would ensure that you have the power head pointed in a way to create rippling at the water surface. Cyanobacteria thrive in low oxygen environments...

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Thanks. I have 4 koralia 1050gph + the mag 18 from the sump. I just added 2 of the koralias the other day. The Rummynose are being blown all over the tank. Just Vacc'd and did a 50% water change at 330 today and its grown back already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store