Hampala love

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
These are Hampala macrolepidota ... as I know them anyway. I have obtained my first and only one from Jeff Rapps in Jan 2019. I have never seen them before in the trade. It's a rather slow growing fish. I got mine at around ~5" and today after 9 months it might have added ~3".

Glad to see a nice group.

Reactions: SourGworms

SourGworms

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2011
around
These are Hampala macrolepidota ... as I know them anyway. I have obtained my first and only one from Jeff Rapps in Jan 2019. I have never seen them before in the trade. It's a rather slow growing fish. I got mine at around ~5" and today after 9 months it might have added ~3".

Glad to see a nice group.
Thanks! When I originally got this group, they were about 4-5 inches had Gill curl and weren't looking the best, five months later they have just about doubled in size and have grown on me lol my wife collectively calls this group of hampalas "The Boys" I don't have many photos of em when I first got them but heres a shot of them back in May. IMG_20190527_194232_752.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The boys, haha... You have to be careful. Your better half might have an X-ray vision.

I think most people wouldn't think much of them. There are other more colorful or bigger growing fish. Also people get excited about temperament and predatory equipment. So these are in general as exciting as tinfoil barbs I'd guess.

I am told they are exceedingly plentiful in their home range.

SourGworms

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2011
around
Lol it's funny you should mention tinfoil Barb's because I make that same joke lol these are my oversized feeders, or my tinfoils 2.0 if you will. Ita funny I aquired these guys as more of a rescue and didn't think much about them, but the more time I spend watching them the more interesting they get. But when you have fish like mahseers who kinda fill in the same niche as the "predatory Barb" and have their own nature documentaries about them, it's hard to comepete I guess lol

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store