Handfeeding BGK problem

bigdogfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
virginia
Hello,

I have a bit of a problem feeding my BGK. I feed my BGK Ginsu frozen bloodworms using tongs. The clown loaches attack the bloodwoms quicker than Ginsu can smell the worms and come out of his hiding place. The bigger the CLs get, the more aggressive they get. At the moment the loaches bite and hold and I have to shake them off the bloodworm cube which frequently results in the cube coming loose from the tongs. Does anybody have any ideas on how to better feed this fish?

RUNE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2011
St. Charles MO USA
How long have you had your BGK?
Once it gets over its tank shyness ( usually about two weeks ) it will become more and more active when the lights are on and believe me it won't have any problems with the CL's.

bigdogfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
virginia
I have had Ginsu for ~11 months he is 7 or 8 inches long and never comes out of his hiding place(a large castle) during the daylight. When I feed him he just shoots out of the castle 3 or 4 inches, grabs the cube, and then goes back in the castle with the cube. There are 5 CLs ranging in size from about 4 inches to 6 inches.

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
i would just put food in after lights out and he will surely go out and get food then, I used to have a bgk that would do the same but after lights out he owned/terrorized the tank

youngmfk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Pittsburgh,PA
Have the same problem with gouramis...Dont use tongs,just rinse your hands and cup your hand so nothing besides the bgk can get the bloodworms.Thats how I fixed this problem,and now he seems to be growing alot faster actually getting the whole cube to himself!

KristaM92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2011
Wausau, WI
He may not feel comfortable with his tank mates. I have no problems with feeding because my BGK is out all the time. He swims around and does back flips all around the tank. In fact, he wont eat unless I hand feed him. lol What is your stock?

daleteekz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
Sydney, Australia
It makes it a lot easier if you put the frozen food in a glass full of tank water. Let it dissolve and then tip it in the tank at the filter outlet so it spreads all over the tank. This way, everyone will be able to eat.
I do this, and my Knife always comes out now to scrap for some food against the loaches and catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store