Happy thanksgiving - this piece came in today

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Looks nice man. I never owned a plat and while I'm still married probably never will haha but I think most CB endli are slow growing it took a long time for mine CB to hit between 10 and 12 inches.

I really like your little guy, I'm not a fan of albino/plat fish besides albino Oscars and plat endli I think most of the time natures version are better looking but I was so tempted to buy a plat endli while visiting monster aquarium. Luckily for my marriage hao kind of talked me out of it lmao

What is so demanding about the plats ? Are they really picky ?

It’s been three months since the last update. It’s now 11cm, so the growth has been consistently (slow). Last measured was 7.5cm so that’s just over 1cm a month. At least it’s getting a little thicker. Also, it has now grown out of the dark spottings it had when it was between 6 - 9cm.

As plat endlis go, I might have gotten one with bad growth genes, or are plat endlis generally slow growers?

Edit: as far as polys go, this plat has been the most demanding in terms of husbandry (from live foods to water quality and then onto pellets). Plat endlis are quite a high maintenance fish as compared to say a normal endli or even a PBB.

View attachment 1310548 View attachment 1310549 View attachment 1310550

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
J jaws7777 Thanks man. Yup, plat laps or PBBs are not as attractive as their non-leucistic counterparts.

Well for me at least, my plat has slow growth, which meant that I had to manage its diet very carefully (give it live foods especially when it was rejecting pellets). Thankfully, it's now experiencing a growth spurt after accepting pellets having struggled from 6cm - 10cm (on live foods).

That period (when it was probably shorter than your little finger and half its girth) was extremely tough cuz it was so small and fragile so I had to keep the water pristine and all the usual stuff that comes with taking care of baby fishes.

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
J jaws7777 Thanks man. Yup, plat laps or PBBs are not as attractive as their non-leucistic counterparts.

Well for me at least, my plat has slow growth, which meant that I had to manage its diet very carefully (give it live foods especially when it was rejecting pellets). Thankfully, it's now experiencing a growth spurt after accepting pellets having struggled from 6cm - 10cm (on live foods).

That period (when it was probably shorter than your little finger and half its girth) was extremely tough cuz it was so small and fragile so I had to keep the water pristine and all the usual stuff that comes with taking care of baby fishes.
Well it looks like your hard work is starting to pay off. Will be following with interest

Reactions: Alexkoj

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
That’s interesting that it started getting a growth spurt once it started to eat pellets. Yay balanced nutrition :) you’ve been doing a great job Alexkoj Alexkoj

Are platinums typically more picky with their diets? Do they have a slower growth rate than regular polys? vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Mine and my friends plats does no reason bith refused to eat anything including live. Great to see yours growing. People often forget these "designer" fish are bred and bred and need to get these recessive traits to show which is the cause for slow growth, irregularities and a slew of other things. Plats imo only cam be judged fish to fish not as a group. Best if luck loos great so far. Eating my loss killed me so I'll wait or pass ok plats until I cam get a suitable sized one.

Reactions: clm08k and Alexkoj

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I've only had a platinum Senegal but it grew slow like a Senegal would though. I've had platinum Aros, they grew just as fast as a normal Aro. I do believe platinum fish are generally more sensitive to water conditions. Immune system is weaker.

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
About over a month and a half has passed since the last update. It’s now 14cm now and getting thick! It’s appetite has also increased accordingly. Swapped out the sponge filter for a HOF and added an air stone since it started producing more waste - it responded with better growth. Only issue is that it has a bent dorsal fin - any idea how I should fix that?

BAC18064-25DD-4995-8FFC-A41CA463B9E3.jpeg 590121C8-672D-4269-8575-3D6D3174921A.jpeg 91FEDBE5-7E72-4E55-B454-F4008D167E26.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store