Harems

Red618

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
I was wondering if anyone keeps Sa/CA in Harems? I always thought it would be cool to have 2 females and one male of a certain species. Reason I ask is I have two female Sals living together and was wondering if adding a lone male it would work.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016

Red618

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
I'll have to check out your thread it's good to know that other people are asking this question haha. I would think with just 1 male and multiple females it would work but unsure.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
My thread didn't last very long, but someone does mention using a harem for Salvini. Any substrate spawner has the potential to have a harem.

Reactions: Red618

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was wondering if anyone keeps Sa/CA in Harems? I always thought it would be cool to have 2 females and one male of a certain species. Reason I ask is I have two female Sals living together and was wondering if adding a lone male it would work.
Yes absolutely but certain species of cichlids for example Apistogramma do best in Harems and so do Geo species.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
you would want a minimum of 3 females per one male. Reason being, if you have two females and one male - the male will (hopefully) select one female and they may begin ganging up on the other female. Having multiple females will disperse aggression more evenly

I totally agree.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Red618

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
What would be a good tank size for a harem of sals? I have a 90 sitting empty and thought maybe that would work. Or is a 125 plus more realistic?

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
I think it could work with salvini. A 3rd female is probably a good idea to start out at least - I know a breeding male will hunt and kill any other males a lot of the time but I think females would be ok.

I set up a new 120g long (60" x 18" x 26") this weekend to start splitting mine up - haven't decided quite how I'm going to do the split yet. Might move the largest male in alone first to color up, then add females in after to pair with. do you have any pics of yours? how big are they? I have some pics of mine up at https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ni-the-quest-for-the-holy-grail.516519/page-7

the bigger of a tank you can use for yours the better - they can and will claim very large territory when spawning (huge relative to their size) and the pair will become rather ferocious. The quote I like to think of is - "A beautiful jewel from southern Mexico, Cichlasoma salvini is perhaps inch for inch and ounce for ounce, the most aggressive and pugnacious little cichlid ever to inhabit an aquarium."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store