Has anyone been to the new Cabela's in AZ???

Phnxbndt79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I went to the new Cabela's that just opened here in Arizona. And I would have to say I was pretty impressed with all the animals that were inside(the stuffed ones,only three fake animals: an eagle, squirrel and a rhino) and unfourtenly on the first day I was there I didnt get a chance to see the aquarium inside...well sure enough I planned to go back today. Well I was excited and it was jammed packed as was expected, and I made my way to the aquarium. I saw some great looking trout and samon in the first tank and I would have to say I couldnt wait to see the rest, unfourtenly when I got inside my heart sank....every single bass that they had in the aquarium section was beaten up and looked like their eyes were to fall out and had been eaten....their fins were chewed and mouths had skin hanging from them....and it looked like fin fungus and maybe ick(not sure if native fish can get it, not to familiar with native fish diseases) but i am in the process of writeing a letter to them so that way they can hopefully help these little guys....and hopefully when they get the Bass Pro Shop built out in Mesa, AZ they wont just hurry up and throw these guys in the water for the GRAND OPENING like Cabela's has done.

Alan
(just my 2 cents):cry:

Phnxbndt79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
not sure if people get to test rods and lures on them or not....that is a pretty good point....didnt think about that....the aquariums looked incased to me with just the filters and stuff running...will look when i go back to see if they do have access to it on the 2nd floor....thanks for the idea...

Phnxbndt79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
actually i went back to Cabela's and the fish happened to look a little better...also the aquariums are sealed off....maybe it was Bass Pro Shop you were thinking of lil_blue....

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
The cabela's around here doesn't let you test the rods in the aquarium. There is a huge pond though outside that I thought you were supposed to be able to test rods on but they have never opened it to my knowledge and it has been atleast five years.

Chad

Jo_nz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
******** of nowhere - New Zealand
a remarkable amount of anglers are also fishkeepers, the problem with the likes of cabelas is that they dont hire anglers or outdoor people, they hire sales staff who dont know any better but have the ability to sell. Your average outdoor person knows what they want, when they go to places like cabelas they dont expect personalised service, they know what they want and if they dont they generally go to a small family tackle store owned by the salesman and the guide is his son or daughter.

I write for a fishing magazine and I get to see and hear what people have, there is a passion which stems across from fish keeping to fishing to environment. Not all fish keepers are anglers, but most anglers are fish keepers or enthusiasts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store