Has anyone else taken the pluge and gone no heater?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yes, for most fish room temperature is fine, somewhere in the 70's. I don't use heaters in most of my freshwater tanks, unless there are specific fish that prefer warmer water. There are also tropical fish which prefer cooler water, and then of course coldwater fish as well.

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
My room temp swings from about 70f to about 80f over the course of the year and everything I keep should be able to handle that fine. I've only been doing this maybe 8 months but long enough to hit those extremes and activity, color, and breeding are all way up.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I forgot to turn on the heater on one tank for a about a week and nothing died. It houses a single Argentea, 2 raphaels and 2 synodontis.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’ve literally never had a heater and all of my tanks are a mid 70

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Success with no heaters whatsoever depends on three factors.

1. What part of the world you live in. For example warm climates less of a problem than cold climates.

2. Ambient room temperature. Instead of heaters in the tank, warm the room up instead. This needs to be done in cooler climates.

3. And lastly, the actual fish you are housing.

Me, being from the uk? We have a cooler climate than most, i'm not prepared to fork out the heating cost for keeping rooms warm, as opposed to individual tanks, and I have tropical fish, most of which wouldn't do too well if the water temp was in the high 50's to low 60's.

No heaters for me would spell the end of my hobby, unless I went coldwater in fish choice.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I do this but only half way.
I live in the Pacific Northwest so we actually have seasons. When the temps stay above 75 during the day I take out the heaters.
Heating the rooms where the tanks are would cost more to heat than the tank heater doing it. As it is heating the apt I live in to 68 doubles and then some my summer electric bill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store