Has Anyone Ever Made DIY Live Rock?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
johnny roastbeef;5063773; said:
Why make your own, when you can get great natural real rock for about $1.25 /LB
I could make custom sizes, shapes, and colors plus it works out to be about $0.60 per pound. The only downside is the curing process for the "rocks" when they're first made and then when they're being colonized by beneficial bacteria; I like hitchhikers and other surprises, but it seems like I get a bad hitchhiker for every one good hitchhiker I get.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Yea, you can just buy some dry rock off of BRS and break it up as needed.

Then I dont know how you would get anything other than coraline though without having the tank seeded with some live stuff.

Granted frag plugs, fish, inverts etc will all come in with a little water on them which could contain something good or bad that might colonize your rock.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
FLESHY;5064951; said:
Yea, you can just buy some dry rock off of BRS and break it up as needed.

Then I dont know how you would get anything other than coraline though without having the tank seeded with some live stuff.

Granted frag plugs, fish, inverts etc will all come in with a little water on them which could contain something good or bad that might colonize your rock.
I figured that I could seed any dead or DIY rock with the rock from my dad's already established saltwater aquarium before adding all of the rock back into said aquarium.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Aragocrete is excellent I use it in all my tanks, as "live" rock is to expencive in the quanities I ususally need, and dry rock isn't available at good prices locally (and shipping it in is cost prohibative). Though I usualy include a few good hunks of uncured live in my tanks along with the Aragocrete usualy about 1-2lbs live rock to every 10-20lbs aragocrete, though I do this for bio-diversity in my tanks like pods/micro detrevors etc, not because its nessisary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store