Has anyone kept Jullien’s golden carp before?

Darius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2019
So i have a W-4ft L-1.5ft H-1.5ft tank with a 3-inch indo tiger and a 2-inch flagtail prochilodus that I recently got a few hours ago.I saw a few pieces of jullien’s golden carp and i was wondering what are they like in captivity?How big to they get?What do they eat?Has anyone successfuly kept these fishes because if they are easy would probably get one or two when i do get myself a bigger tank or a pond.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although they grow slowly, they can hit over 5"ft, so usually unless a tank is in the 1,000 gallon range, they are not thought be an aquarium fish. When I was in Viet Nam I'd occasionally see some pulled out of the Mekong in the 3ft to 5ft range, and that fish would provide a feast for an entire village.
They are omnivores eating, crustaceans, and aquatic vegetation.

Reactions: tlindsey

Darius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2019
Although they grow slowly, they can hit over 5"ft, so usually unless a tank is in the 1,000 gallon range, they are not thought be an aquarium fish. When I was in Viet Nam I'd occasionally see some pulled out of the Mekong in the 3ft to 5ft range, and that fish would provide a feast for an entire village.
yes
that is true but i was wondering of anyone has kept them in captivity.How big to captive bred ones grow?who knows if it could be smaller lol

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
LOL when I went down to the wharf one time to get fish, a Korean dad and his son were carrying a carp the size of a person. They ended up draping it over a pier before getting it into a truck. There was a bed of ice inside!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store