Have You Made An Impulsive Buy? How Did That Turn Out For You?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
You had plan A tank for plan B fish only. And you got it all set up. You have accomplished. It is now sitting there in peace.

But being a fish keeper and also having interest in aquascaping you make occasional visits to all the local aquarium fish stores.

Danger danger because you cannot help yourself from checking out all the arriving new stocks of aquarium fish. Once awhile you come across that must have fish in your list. Or that rare fish which you thought you wouldn't come by.

Temptations rise and the impulse becomes stronger the more you think about it. Especially when you see buyers coming and becoming aware of this current available stocks. You know they are interested. It is now or never.. Do you even have enough money left if you buy this fish?

But the urge is eating you up and it possesses you and making you change your initial plan. Maybe you can add a tank mate? Will it be over crowded? Especially if this fish grows big and your tank cannot house it for life. Or maybe you should sell your current fish and take this one instead. What will you say to your family members? Should you post a thread in MFK? Will you get bashed for being irresponsible?

But as the saying goes..Once it itches you can't help but scratch it.

You signal the shopkeeper and within a minute or two you listen to that orgasmic sound of the shopkeeper filling oxygen into the fish bag. You pay him the money and you got it! You got it! You're excited as you take it home!

But what happens then? How did you manage it? Share your experiences.

On another note, if you managed to control your urge how did you reason with yourself?

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
What did you buy?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
What did you buy?
I controlled my urge. But in the past I have made impulsive buys. The number of fish was increasing in my tank until I gave everything away for proper housing. Today I am being patient before I decide.

For example I can't decide whether I want a pack of Channa Pleuros in a 150G or a single Golden Crossback Asian Arowana. And sometimes I go to the fish store I become uncertain all over again. I decided to just wait.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I've done impulsive buys in the past.. and it wasn't all that pretty lol. Bought a bunch of rare aquarium plants that hard to keep and I don't even know how to properly care for, got to me and they all die on me a couple days later. Wasted truckloads of money lol Lesson learned, have to do research first.. and like you said, have to be patient.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Normally I can shift stock around tanks to find a spot for an unplanned resident.
I had a aunt that gave me plants, two angels and a start to a CO2 setup and it took me roughly two hours to put sand in, plant the plants move the Bircher to his own tank and watch for aggression between the new arrivals.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
I bought a fahaka puffer impulsively a few months ago which is a bit of a nightmare cos he'll need his own big tank. I already have 2 black piranha's which also need large tanks to themselves!!

It's a cool fish so I'm gonna try and make it work. Space is at a minimum in my house and my wife is laughing at me needing these large tanks for one fish in each!!

Also have a shoal of red bellies in another tank. Currently trying to work out a way to keep them all and looking into racking the tanks lol

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've wasted tons of money on plants. I once spent $50 for a huge pile of anubias which I lost to black beard algae and didn't know any better.

I've had some impulsive buys with stock. Mainly "rescue" fish. Like a near dead Oscar I picked up and didn't really have a home for, picked up some JD's in similar circumstances. I've thrown some random Africans in my African cichlid tank without really doing my research. Sometimes you just see something pretty and have to spend money I guess.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Impulsive buys always turn out bad. Either more work, doesn't go as I thought it would or I end up not really digging it that much. Have done this with filters, fish, lights, decore, plants you name it. I used to be very bad for it but I can hold back now. Enjoy my tank much more with it well though out and planned. Over spending or not having cash cuz of it is never an issue. Just usually I realized it isn't working or doing what I thought it would in the 3 seconds of thought.
Even my planned tanks don't work out, I never see my current stock. My pvc pipes too good lol.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol, I'm going thru this now. Cleared out my tank, I want to try Discus. Over the weekend while looking for filter media, I ended up buying a fish I've wanted for a long time, a Vieja Argentae. Now I'm back on the fence, not sure what I'm gonna do :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store