Having trouble identifying this fish

Guppieslayer

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2019
This guy was sold as a red devil but looks nothing like one. I'm getting tired of the pet store in my city. Every time I buy fish I end up with strange hybrids.... I apologize for the glare on the glass.

20190913_134955.jpg

20190913_134944.jpg

20190913_134916.jpg

Guppieslayer

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2019
You might hold on to that one for a while. It looks like a fader. He might turn out to be something awsome.
Yeah i have no plans to get rid of him. He started out grey with black bars, then he darkened up, and now it looks like he is almost molting or something. What is a fader out of curiosity?

IMG_20190612_222226_332.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Molting is a good word to describe the change. Certain cichlids, especially Central American Hybrids go through a "molting" where a partial or complete color change occurs. The metamorphosis isn't so much caused by environmental facters, but is a genetic predisposition.
Breeders of the Red Texas Cichlids & certain Flowerhorns strive for "Faders" that will eventually transform into masterpiece coloration.
Most Red Devils commercially available are a Red Devil x Midas cross, (Midevil). Both species are extremely similar, but do have slight genetic differences, regarding shape & color pigmentation. That's probably why your RD is fading. Judging by the second pic, your fish would be labeled a (Gold Base) Fader.

Reactions: Lepisosteus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are many color variations of Amphilophus (generic term, red devils)
Although they are start out looking the same as juvies, but the way they end up as adults can be quite different.
I prefer the mottled, or striped look to the solid pink myself, but that's just personal preference.
Here are a couple examples of the way they start out, but morph into.

All of mine started ut like the above shot, similar to yours, but.....they ended up quiet different

And the term red devil is loosely used for about a dozen different closely related species from the great lakes of Nicaragua, there only a few importers take the time, or even have a clue about about those differences , there are 2 or 3 different species per each lake.
And the aquarium strains are so mixed up (hybrids) that in any one spawn there can be many color or even subtly different body shape variations

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store