Healthy Angels

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
I have a pretty heavily planted breeder aquarium (40 gal) with nine ~1" angels and a few guppies in it. I monitor the water quality regularly and it still reads no nitrate/nitrite/amonia. Do I still need to do frequent water changes? How often should I do the water changes with this type of tank?

LoTech

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2006
San Diego
My opinon: water changes do more than just get rid of nitrate build-up. Plants can also take up ammonia and thus keep nitrates down, but they always need to be growing to do this. And only a water change will clean out other stuff that accumulates in the water and on the bottom, and replace it with new trace elements, etc.

I change water on my planted tank every week (50-80%), but it has gone as long as three weeks with no obvious ill effects.

Also, remember that the longer you go between water changes, the more likely that you will have significant pH changes. If you don't change the water often, then test the pH and compare to your tap water to make sure you won't shock the fish - or just do a small water change.

Suggestion: do water changes at least every other week, and make sure your setup will still allow plant growth as summer turns to winter.

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
My opinon: water changes do more than just get rid of nitrate build-up. Plants can also take up ammonia and thus keep nitrates down, but they always need to be growing to do this. And only a water change will clean out other stuff that accumulates in the water and on the bottom, and replace it with new trace elements, etc.

I change water on my planted tank every week (50-80%), but it has gone as long as three weeks with no obvious ill effects.

Also, remember that the longer you go between water changes, the more likely that you will have significant pH changes. If you don't change the water often, then test the pH and compare to your tap water to make sure you won't shock the fish - or just do a small water change.

Suggestion: do water changes at least every other week, and make sure your setup will still allow plant growth as summer turns to winter.

I'll keep an eye on it and do the water changes once every week or two. The pH of my water is pretty high, but I don't seem to be having any issues with it...as of now anyways

AlanSousa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Rhode Island
my planted tank gets a 10% water change about twice a week and my fish love it. the plants do well too, especially with adde CO2. just make sure its the same pH. it stresses the fish out even if its a little change.

TheMightyOscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
New York
planted tanks dont need as many WC as regular tanks, the plants eat up most of the ammonia and nitrates, a 10% WC once every week or two will suffice, good luck!

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
Water changes help to remove chemical products that hinder growth. Breeders change water alot to get really high growth rates, not just to remove waste products.

It is possible that your water test kit is not working properly especially if it have been exposed to a lot of light or high temperatures so try to be sure that your water param readings are correct. Maybe that's why your aangel is unwell?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store