Heater Controllers

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Heater controllers seem to be all the rage as of late, and I wanted to share my current experience with the equipment I have tried. I have utilized both of the following:

WILLHI and Inkbird

Just last night sadly, my WILLHI controller seems be by having a high scale burn out (reading higher value than is actually in the tank). I verified by pulling the probe, placing it in my sump alongside a mercury thermometer. Controller reading 84* and mercury reading 78-79*. This is disappointing as it has only been in service since December of last year.

The Inkbird, I have been fairly vocal about being against in this forum and elsewhere, was loosely the same results reading even higher when I noticed it. I want to say it was reading 96* while the tank was actually low 70s!

So, what am I to do now? Well, I am going to get a FInnex controller that they sell with their Titanium heaters. I already have one of these heaters and love they design and have had no issues with the heater itself.

I believe the issue with the WILLHI and Inkbird all reside in the probes themselves. I think they aren't meant to be submerge for extended periods of time even though they both advertise aquarium use. The Finnex temperature probe appears to be built with water in mind based on photos and I am keeping my fingers crossed it will work. If this doesn't work, I am going to go full ham and my hobby money is going to making my Raspberry Pi box 1st and foremost with a temperature probe I pick, relays I pick, and outlets etc. to ensure quality parts are there. Is it possible I got 2 bad eggs? Maybe, but I've got a co-worker and others on here have complained about the Inkbird. I am the only person I know to have gotten the WILLHI but a failure within 5 months is unacceptable IMO.

I just wanted to share some findings I've had with these devices as of late and am cruious on others experiences as well.

Cheers

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
How well does your mercury thermometer work? I have purchased some that were off by 3-5 degrees in the past. Have you verified with other temperature devices? Of course there is the confirmation of calibration using the ice slurry and boil method. (https://globaltemp.com.au/calibrating-your-thermometer-fact-sheet convert to F. )

With regards to probes, you need them to be waterproof. Water resistant isn't the same thing. A cheap method for waterproofing a probe (and the line that will be in the water) is to coat in silicone, and letting that silicone dry for at least 2 weeks.

I've been running an inkbird ITC-306 since 2014 with no issues. I've put on a heat well (plastic shrink wrape) prior to using it. I've also been running with a Ranco ETC-1000 since 2013 with no issues as well. I didn't put a heat well on the probe until 2014.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
The mercury thermometer reads ambient in the house pretty spot on. I will disagree with me needing to waterproof as both products are advertised to work on aquariums. If I advertise a product to work in an environment it should work there out of the box, I shouldn't need to modify it to do the job it says it does. The WILLHI would be the easiest fix as it has an AUX connection for the probe.

Going to get the Finnex and see how well it works. Maybe the quality of probes has dropped since yours was bought. Either way, I had an Inkbird go bad, and a co-worker had 2 go bad on him. I do see Inkbird did update the probe and it looks similar to the FInnex probe now, so it is/was obviously an issue.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The mercury thermometer reads ambient in the house pretty spot on. I will disagree with me needing to waterproof as both products are advertised to work on aquariums. If I advertise a product to work in an environment it should work there out of the box, I shouldn't need to modify it to do the job it says it does. The WILLHI would be the easiest fix as it has an AUX connection for the probe.

Going to get the Finnex and see how well it works. Maybe the quality of probes has dropped since yours was bought. Either way, I had an Inkbird go bad, and a co-worker had 2 go bad on him. I do see Inkbird did update the probe and it looks similar to the FInnex probe now, so it is/was obviously an issue.
If it is designed to work in the aquarium, then the probe should be waterproof. I've seen a manufacturer state it will work in the aquarium, and yet the probe is water resistant per the manufacturer, meaning that it will only resist the affects of water up to a certain degree (time, water chemistry, etc). I was simply stating to make sure that the manufacturer states that the probe is waterproof and not water resistant.

The old inkbirds, like the one I have, has a water resistant probe. Hence my need to add a waterproof substance to the probe like a heat well or silicone in order to make it water proof.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Not a lot of experience with this since I really just got back in the hobby last fall but the people who installed my tank recommended against Finnex and instead recommended Aquatop (with digital control and sepearte sensor). Titanium. It's worked well for me for about 6 months. In a sump. Temp difference about 2-3 degrees. Sump could be part of the delta. My 2 cents.
BTW - Tank installer shop experienced with custom aquarium builds as well as a LFS.

Kichi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2018
California
I would mention Ranco temperature controllers used as safety and backup to your heaters for your prized fish. Jehmco has them rebranded and wired. Or you can buy them from Amazon unwired for less and do it yourself.

Allows control of temperatures by 1 degree difference.

The probe is IP67 rated but I would shrink wrap a thermal well on it just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store