heater in overflow box

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
Is this an external box, or a whole weir? I only ask because of the space issue. I can't imagine it being a problem, so long as it's not touching the piping and stays submerged. I haven't personally put the heater in my weirs, but I've kept other things there like thermometers and I currently grow peace lilies out of them. They say put the heater where there is good water movement. So long as it's not clanging it around, should be fine.

Reactions: Onyx4476

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
im not saying it wont work. but i recently watched a video that showed how little circulation there is down in the bottom half of a standard weir and how to go about cleaning it. that being said it might not be overly efficient if you have circulation issues in the weir itself. just a thought.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
im not saying it wont work. but i recently watched a video that showed how little circulation there is down in the bottom half of a standard weir and how to go about cleaning it. that being said it might not be overly efficient if you have circulation issues in the weir itself. just a thought.
what about adding an air stone at the bottom to help with circulation

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
that was what they did to keep the circulation up and keep detritus out.
Excellent point. I don't especially need to worry about this since I am running approx 6.5k gallons per hour between 2 weirs but for smaller set ups this is something to keep in mind

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
Wouldn't the warmer water constantly be rising towards the overflow? I would think the warmer water would create more flow in the bottom half of the weir.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store