Heating 180gal aquarium

Monster keeper717

Feeder Fish
Nov 30, 2019
I’m setting up a 180 gal aquarium for a stingray and I fully understand I will need to upgrade to a larger tank in 3-5 years but I am looking for heating recommendations for the aquarium. I am running a fluval fx6 canister filter. I’m open to inline heaters or submersible heater but needs to be stingray safe.

Reactions: Canoeist

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Id just get two 500 Watt submersible heaters with heat guards on them. Just incase one ever craps out on you. Simple, cheap, effective. I found 2 for sale on ebay brand new a few months back for $19

Reactions: Canoeist

Canoeist

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2019
I run a pair of 300 watts in a 180, in the winter the shop its in gets down to 50 degrees and they keep it at 78 degrees just fine.

Monster keeper717

Feeder Fish
Nov 30, 2019
I was thinking about running the fluval E300 since they have the protection but was also looking for inline heaters but not really finding to much for that large of a tank

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I was thinking about running the fluval E300 since they have the protection but was also looking for inline heaters but not really finding to much for that large of a tank
Set up a sump for the 180 keep the heaters in the sump. One of the reasons to use a sump besides superior filtration capacity.

Reactions: Matteus

Monster keeper717

Feeder Fish
Nov 30, 2019
Set up a sump for the 180 keep the heaters in the sump. One of the reasons to use a sump besides superior filtration capacity.
I haven’t looked into a sump so I don’t know what is all involved. Would I be able to use the Fx6 or have to change that up as well.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I have a 1000w on a controller in my 180. It has a cover on it and I have it set up that it is laying sideways just below a spraybar to help spread out the flow of warmed water. I put the probe a few feet away from the heater so it is measuring the temp in a totally different area than where the heater is.

if you have the means to do a sump, it is by far the better rout to go. I would use the fx6 as well if it is an option. Stingrays have a huge bio load.

I’m running 2 canisters, a hob, and I am looking into making a trickle filter that sits on top of the tank, with plants that will hang out the top of it.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store