heating a land/water viv.

kittyhazelton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Upper Valley VT/NH
I want to try a little experiment. I am planning on setting up a rather large land/water viv with a 90gal tank.
For the water I have a 300W titanium heater.
For the land portion of things I want to keep some kind of gecko or other small lizards that can be kept in a community.
My theory is that if the water is a nice 80+ then the heat from the water should keep the air tempurature fairly warm as well.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
My plan is essentually to divide the tank in half, lower half water, upper half planted and such.

Bobnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Humboldt
I'm in the process of doing the same basic thing, though with a smaller tank.
I don't have any numbers for the air temps though.

If the top is well sealed (not quite air tight, but close) the water should keep things fairly warm.
The lights will help, too.

Just make sure you leave a way for the gecko/whatever to escape the water section if it falls in!

kittyhazelton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Upper Valley VT/NH
OK, $5 of fake plants, and some extra driftwood I had kicking around and my 110gallon tank... yeah decided not to sell it. Plus, I was too damn impatient to set it up and I had to do a water change anyway.

Here we go. What you can't really see is the output from the filter trickles water down the back wall and on the log that's laying horizontal.

DSC00111.JPG

Bobnova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
Humboldt
Very nice!

Mine is currently a half-full 15g with a floating yogurt container with the half water half air plants in it :p

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
Interesting. Looks good. Whatever you decide to keep in there should like warm AND humid, and be able to "swim to shore":) :)

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
kittyhazelton;893631; said:
OK, $5 of fake plants, and some extra driftwood I had kicking around and my 110gallon tank... yeah decided not to sell it. Plus, I was too damn impatient to set it up and I had to do a water change anyway.

Here we go. What you can't really see is the output from the filter trickles water down the back wall and on the log that's laying horizontal.

What?! Mom only lets you take one pic a day? :D . Tell her Dr Joe said it would be ok if you posted 2 pix...:ROFL: .

But otherwise looking good :headbang2 .

Dr Joe

kittyhazelton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Upper Valley VT/NH
Dr Joe;896036; said:
What?! Mom only lets you take one pic a day? :D . Tell her Dr Joe said it would be ok if you posted 2 pix...:ROFL: .

But otherwise looking good :headbang2 .

Dr Joe

What I meant was that the camera doesn't really capture the effect too well other than looking like a wet log.
And my mom doesn't give a crap what I take pictures of because... well... She doesn't live here. I'm 23 and rent my own place. Sides, if I know my mom right she'd be ecouraging more pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store