Hello Everyone i need your help with a Pleco

wolfrocco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Regina sask Canada
Hello everyone i am new to site and i need your help. my pleco has out grown my 30 gallon tank so i have now bought a 90 gallon but i need to transfer him over to my big tank. He hides out in a chunk of PVC pipe 12 '' long and 4 " in dia, i was thinking about using a plastic bin 18 " high and 24" long 15" wide filling it with some water from the tank and then waiting till my pleco goes into his tube and then lifting it up and covering each end with my hands. but another problem i have is my tank is still at my inlaws 15 min away so im worried about the water temp if it drops and also how do i get the pleco use to the temp of the new tank ?

any ideas would be great i have had this pleco for a very long time and dont want to lose him

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
Your idea sounds good. As far as acclimating him to the new tank, I would setup a drip into the bin you are transferring him in.

What type of pleco is this? If this is a common pleco, they are pretty strong and it shouldn't have any problems.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Sounds like a good plan and fifteen minutes for transport is not a problem. By the way, welcome to MFK.

red oscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
JOUSHA TX
common plecos can live thu allmost anything was moveing some fish around one day had one in a log he was out of water at least 1hr and was bone dry and stiff when i found him at the time he was about 3inchs today he is 12 inchs

illustrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
NewHampshire, USA
You've got a good plan, and your pleco will be fine. Seriously, they'll live through anything. They're too ornery to just up and die... If you're really worried about temperature, put him in a picnic cooler. You can warm up the cooler by rinsing it with hot tap water, then dump it out and fill a few inches with tank water, get your pleco in there, and take off. There will be plenty of air in the cooler for a 15 min. ride, and the cooler will keep the temps stable. In fact, if you have other fish to move as well, the average cooler is large enough for several fish.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
The cooler is the best way to go if you are worried about temp change.Id match the temps in the tanks with the heaters before the move.If your both on the same town water params should be close enough to just put him in.Test both tanks if all readings are close and you matched the temps close just put him in

kuteboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Nice ideas!! actually common pleco are very strong even he is out og the water for 30 mins he can still survive.

Good luck to you sir wolfrocco i think your pleco would be very happy to see his new home!!

wolfrocco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Regina sask Canada
thanks for the help guys tonight is the time i will move him i finshed cutting his new pvc home and i covered it in rock to make a nice cave effect. im going to be picking up my light for the top of the tank i will try to get some pics after i get the big guy in. :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store