Hello! New here

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi all! I have been on fish forums for quite a while and am certainly not new to fish keeping. I have been in the hobby for a little over 4 years now and that may not seem like much to some but I have 10 aquariums (the biggest of which is a 130 gallons) and have a few rare/advanced fish. Some of my tanks are overstocked however I do compensate for this by doing extra water changes. I understand the nitrogen cycle and do at least 50% water changes weekly on all of my tanks. My biggest fish currently is a 10" oscar that resides in my 130, however length wise that probably goes to my tire track eel (who also resides in the 130) who is probably going on or at 11", he is hard to see because he is always hiding, lol. I keep over 50 species of fish and research a lot about all of them. I am exited to join this forum and can't wait to get to know you. Over the next few days I will post information about each of my tanks. Exited to be here!

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Welcome comrade, I’m happy to see a younger person join. Would you mind telling me the stock of your tanks?

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Welcome comrade, I’m happy to see a younger person join. Would you mind telling me the stock of your tanks?
Hi! Well I certainly hope my age does not make anyone here think any less of my opinion or knowledge (not trying to say you thought that)! I have 10 tanks and here is the rundown of them all:

130 gallon (with 40 gallon sump so 170 gallon system):
Stock- 2 Oscars, 1 electric blue johannii cichlid, 1 yellow Mbuna, 1 firemouth cichlid, 4 feather fin catfish, 1 common pleco, 1 bristle nose pleco, 1 kissing gourami, 1 tire track eel
Notes- this is probably my most overstocked tank however I do a lot of water changes and closely monitor stocking. There is no aggression besides between my two Oscars, however I think it is breeding behavior as they are also digging out the gravel and keeping the other fish away from that nest. I do plan to remove the smaller cichlids and the BN pleco as the Oscars and eel grow more.

55 Gallon:
Stock- 1 flowerhorn cichlid, 2 pictus catfish, 1 common pleco, 1 Raphael catfish
Notes- I promise this is the last common pleco. This pleco is actually a rescue pleco and he is stunted at around 9”, the person I rescued him from had him in a 20 gallon tank for 15 years. Bubbles (the flowerhorn) doesn’t really bother the catfish unless they are up in his face. Bubbles is a couple months over a year old now and is my most interactive fish. He lets me pet him and jumps for food, he even goes through a hoop!

40 gallon:
Stock- 1 blood parrot cichlid, 1 bristle nose pleco, 1 green phantom pleco, 1 dinosaur bichir, 1 african butterfly fish, 1 golden wonder killifish
Notes- Blood parrots are my specialty. Captain (the blood parrot) is my favorite fish and used to be housed in the 130 but he was being a bully and stressing the Oscars so I had to move him to a 40 gallon which I hope to upgrade. The bichir is only a baby I have plans to move him as he gets older. Captain is a big BP (8.5”) so the tank is probably a bit overstocked and I would like to upgrade but for now he is doing well.

These are most of my larger predator tanks, I have some more however I have to go for the moment and will make another post on this thread later informing you all on the rest of my tanks. If you have any questions let me know!

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m younger than you, one of our mods is, and we have a few 14-15 year olds. As long as you don’t talk crap and are willing to listen to others and be respectful you’ll have no problem here. I learned that last lesson personally.

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I’m younger than you, one of our mods is, and we have a few 14-15 year olds. As long as you don’t talk crap and are willing to listen to others and be respectful you’ll have no problem here. I learned that last lesson personally.
Happy to hear it!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Haha, what is that little yellow dude in your 55 with the flowerhorn? It looks like it's on a length of string!!

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum.

:welcome:

CaptainAquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Haha, what is that little yellow dude in your 55 with the flowerhorn? It looks like it's on a length of string!!

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum.

:welcome:
That is a toy flowerhorn that bubbles beats on so he won’t bully the catfish, lol. Thanks for the welcome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store