Hello there - How many hours or days separate your feedings?

Clift

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
I feed my fish a lot... but I'm perfectly fine with doing massive water changes regularly at this point. Pretty much all the fish I have are still growing out, so I'm pumping them full of meats(including flakes) in the morning, peas and scoured corn mid day, then some cereal(corn flakes) mysis and bloodworms at night. They have it good :D

I don't imagine I would be able to keep this up much longer though, as water changes every other day do become somewhat tiresome and expensive.

So that's 3 times a day, now being cut down to 2 times for the large tank, and I plan on keeping with the 2 meals a day for a long time. I personally find that as long as I have the patience to wait around and not overfeed them, I never have any high nitrites or uneaten food lying around the tank. I change the water so often simply because I know how much waste is being produced regardless of if the sump is able to deal with it.

philfreenode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
Washington
My pacu are fed once a day and only what the fish can eat in under 2 minutes. I skip a couple days a week as well. they're still growing in size. overfeeding is a major killer of water quality and aquarium fish

Clift

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
Redearsunfish;5143783; said:
So a twelve hour turn around and a single feeding.

See, I need to maintain small two feeds per day as my fancy goldfish are much like cows and need to eat, graze constantly.

My African tank is very young, but still, I think i'll maintain the two feeds, just small ones.
So true, I can't get over how much my little comets love to eat... can't wait to put them outside in the pond.

I try and restrain my feeding, not only for water quality, but i'm quite sure I killed a piranha and an Oscar by it. They were prized pets, and were 5 and 8 respectively, but I think stuffing them to the gills (pun intended) didn't help things in terms of there internal health - fatty livers and whatnot.

I try now to stick to a schedule and feed in smaller measured amounts.

Clift

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
Redearsunfish;5144521; said:
I try and restrain my feeding, not only for water quality, but i'm quite sure I killed a piranha and an Oscar by it. They were prized pets, and were 5 and 8 respectively, but I think stuffing them to the gills (pun intended) didn't help things in terms of there internal health - fatty livers and whatnot.

I try now to stick to a schedule and feed in smaller measured amounts.
Thanks for the insight... I posted for a dual purpose, one I wanted to answer the TS's question, second because I was hoping someone might be able to clear up some of the thoughts I was having regarding excessive feeding. :)

tropicalfishmaster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Republic of Ireland
just feed high quality flakes mixed with bloodworms in d morning and then after you have had your dinner works 4 me![ malawi chiclid tank, green spotted puffer tank{ frozen bloodworms, live guppies only once a day} and a 2ft tank with 2 angel fish, brown knife fish, 4 black khulki loaches, electric blue ram and loads of guppies and endlers males and females for qucik snacks 4 d knife fish!]

Gruntking

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Miami
I am used to feeding 3 times a day but i am thinking of bringing it down to 2 times day.

Usual feeding schedule is: when i wake up(10-12), afternoon(4-6), and late (10-12).

I feed hikari cichlid gold as staple diet, and also feed algea bites every other day. Bloodowrms are also a treat 1-2 times a week as well.

If i feed twice a day then my nitrates probably wouldnt go up as much, lol.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
everyday at 7pm.

Even the fish knows

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I feed at about 10:30 am and again between 4:30-6:00 pm for most of my adult fish. Plecos get fed around midnight about every other or third day. No food at all on either sat or sun or sometimes both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store