Help can not get more then a few hours before clogged filter

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Ok as the title states I can't get more then 8-10 hours out of any filter sock from 100-400 microns and it is more like 2-3 hours before they are fully clogged. I have tried putting Polyester fill in the filter socks to see if he would catch the bigger particles and I could just change that because it's easier than washing a filter sock but that did not work. I also bought the Reusable plastic filter sock holder With the polyester fill and it did not work. Then I found out fluvel Fx6 filter pads are perfect size and fit in there amazingly but I still only get like 2 hours before the Courses one I can find is clogged up. I was thinking about adding clams to help but the suspended particles has any one else tried this or have any other suggestions I am willing to try anything I would love to just go 2 days but would settle for anything that would allow me to go 24 hours. This and cleaning the glass is the only Maintenance I have on this tank and don't mind doing it but every few hours is crazy. For the record I have a 600 gallon mix cichled tank 96 x48 x 30, with a c2c overflow and a 125 gallon sump with two 7 inch filter socks and I measured the flow at a little over 3200 gph not that much for that size tank. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well brs once told me that 7" filter socks could handle around 1500gph. So that shouldn't be the issue. I had a very large salt system on a "single" sump.....one mechanical filtration stage anyway. I had 4 7" filter socks on it, the water was dispersed into a chamber that over flowed into the socks "evenly". I had quite a few large fish in my ponds, angels, sharks puffer. My 300g pond now runs 2 7" and I've got around 2000gph and a ton of fish in it. I'd go a week in between changing them before and now. In both instances they could/can go longer and have. You must have some seriously messy fish that eat multiple times a day to clog that fast. How old are the socks? Did they last longer when new? As the socks get used and age they tend to not be as free flowing. Maybe time to get new ones? I'm getting near that stage on mine they are about two years old probably 15 to 20 washes on them, I have 12 socks.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Thank you for your response. The socks have done that since day one never got more then 24 hours out of them and that is Rare more like 2- 12.

I wish I had 4 socks holders

Hear is a video of feeding time. So you can see what I am working with and there are quite a few more baby's that you don't see. There is Easily 200 fish in there now. Between my sulfur denitate and my drip system. I replace over 200 gallons a day to keep the nitrates down. The fish are doing great I just need to be able to see th now lol
The only other option I know of is to try and put clams in as they will filter feeding and supposedly take the particles out of the w But please if anybody reading this has any suggestions Please don't hesitate i am willing to try anything. I don't want to have to go under my fish tank before I go to work when I come home from work before I go to bed.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That's nice!
Wonder if the denitrater is causing it? You have a skimmer on it don't you? I think it's you.....
Maybe try the nylon socks instead of the "cloth" ones? They don't filter quite as small of particles.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Thank you! Also I don't see how it would be the cause? How? Also no skimmer I have one I can put in if you think that might help. I have the nylon socks too. I find there easier to clean but still clog quick in my tank

Reactions: Bbuckley

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
When I was into reefing I used denitrators of different types some of which would create quite a biofilm. If I put the effluent upstream of the skimmer no issue, if down stream or no skimmer a lot of biofilm in certain areas. With enough flow like you it would end up in the mechanical filter. Remember this was years ago so it's foggy as which ones were worse then others but I think the carbon dosing one was. Biopellets was probably bad too but by then I had it all worked out.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I run my effluent through A mechanical sponge in some GFO
Oh. Hmm well I've not really ever run into this other then the closest thing was with the biofilm issues clogging up my mech in a couple of days. Hope someone can provide more insight then I can.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Is it essential you have five times turnover? Less would help somewhat. I notice you have sand substrate. Is any of the stirred up sand due to fish activity and water movement speeding up the clogging process? Thinning out your stock would help too and/or not feeding as much to reduce waste. Just a few initial thoughts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store