HELP!! Do you think my senegal swallowed gravel?

courtneylm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2021
Central Florida
So let me start by saying that I know gravel shouldn't be in their tank. I didn't when we first got her, we actually didn't intend to have a bichir when we first set up the tank. But I learned that they can swallow it so it's dangerous, and I've been trying to remove it. We have it mixed in with the sand so it's been a slow going process trying to get it out, once my back starts to hurt I stop. So anyways, she's had this lump for over a week now. She's still eating like normal, but the lump doesn't seem to be going anywhere. She's gotten this before but it went away in a few days. I feed my upside down catfish shrimp pellets and they seem to be too hard for her to eat so I think that was what caused the lump before, she ate one and it took a few days to break down. I've included a video because I can't get a decent picture.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So let me start by saying that I know gravel shouldn't be in their tank. I didn't when we first got her, we actually didn't intend to have a bichir when we first set up the tank. But I learned that they can swallow it so it's dangerous, and I've been trying to remove it. We have it mixed in with the sand so it's been a slow going process trying to get it out, once my back starts to hurt I stop. So anyways, she's had this lump for over a week now. She's still eating like normal, but the lump doesn't seem to be going anywhere. She's gotten this before but it went away in a few days. I feed my upside down catfish shrimp pellets and they seem to be too hard for her to eat so I think that was what caused the lump before, she ate one and it took a few days to break down. I've included a video because I can't get a decent picture.

Yes possibly swallowed gravel. I suggest skip a day or two and see if the lump disappears.
When feed my Senegals tilapia I skip a day of feeding.

Reactions: courtneylm

courtneylm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2021
Central Florida
tlindsey tlindsey Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 have either of you ever experienced a bichir passing due to swallowing gravel? I'm just curious how long it would take for her to pass if she's going to, or if it's just going to sit there either forever or until she's big enough to pass it. It's been about 2 weeks since I originally noticed it and she's still eating regularly, though I'm fasting my tank for today and tomorrow in hopes of helping whatever the issue may be

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
tlindsey tlindsey Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 have either of you ever experienced a bichir passing due to swallowing gravel? I'm just curious how long it would take for her to pass if she's going to, or if it's just going to sit there either forever or until she's big enough to pass it. It's been about 2 weeks since I originally noticed it and she's still eating regularly, though I'm fasting my tank for today and tomorrow in hopes of helping whatever the issue may be
Never had a Bichir pass from swallowing gravel tbh removed the gravel after joining.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I’ve acquired small and large polys that have been in gravel. It’s quite common for bichirs to ingest sand and gravel. If the Senegal is acting normal and eating regularly. I’d just give it some more time. There is also a possibility the lump is not from swallowing gravel.

Reactions: courtneylm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store