Help finding a true black sand

Rift485

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2010
Boston
I'm driving myself crazy trying to find a replacement for Caribsea's Tahitian Moon Sand. That stuff was a true black and was the perfect grain size (pretty fine). It also had a little shimmer that popped in a good way.

I tried the Flourite black but it was more a flat gray color. Not super attractive IMO. The Black Diamond black blasting sand has those gold grains mixed in that give it a black/brownish color. I picked up some Imaginarium black sand from Petco which is decent but not quite a true black, plus the grains are a bit larger.

What sand is the most black, and closest to a true sand grain size?

Rift485

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2010
Boston
Answering my own question- Aqua Naturals Diamond Black is the one! Perfect grain size, great black color.

Photos show a comparison between Diamond on the left and Imagitarium on the right. Both available at Petco. Imagitarium is more a small gravel than sand.

FYI I had a little light sand left in the tank which is why there are some flecks in the main tank pic. The sand is a consistent black throughout.

IMG-5107.jpeg

IMG-5221.jpeg

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Would the Aqua Naturals Diamond Black also be safe for gill rakers of Geophagus earth eaters?

SoDakSam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Just put it in a new setup. Rinsed it thoroughly. My first time with a sandy, black substrate. I’m blown away. It looks great, and cheap!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store