Help! Fish in trouble

thumsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
Platteville, WI
Hey guys,
Wow, I haven't been on in a while, but I have a problem with one of my fish. My lamp. calvus is dying. He sits on the bottom of the tank and doesn't move. He appears to be having trouble breathing. I had him in my community tank for what has to be a year now and haven't had any trouble before. All the other fish appear to be perfectly healthy. It started a couple weeks ago when he appeared to be much less active. I moved him into another tank two days ago and I haven't seen any improvement thus far. All I did was throw in some aquarium salt and fresh water (with water from the other tank too). I have no idea what to do. There doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with him. Help please!!!

Marius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
thumsa;2418685; said:
Hey guys,
Wow, I haven't been on in a while, but I have a problem with one of my fish. My lamp. calvus is dying. He sits on the bottom of the tank and doesn't move. He appears to be having trouble breathing. I had him in my community tank for what has to be a year now and haven't had any trouble before. All the other fish appear to be perfectly healthy. It started a couple weeks ago when he appeared to be much less active. I moved him into another tank two days ago and I haven't seen any improvement thus far. All I did was throw in some aquarium salt and fresh water (with water from the other tank too). I have no idea what to do. There doesn't appear to be anything else wrong with him. Help please!!!

Is he tilted, gasping for air ...or he just hangs out there, on the bottom. They are ambush predators, I've seen mine motionless for hours. I hope he's just playing with you.

Snap some photos.

thumsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
Platteville, WI
He's just sitting on the bottom, but he appears to be breathing very heavily. He's never done this before. I'm not sure its a swim bladder problem, he stays upright just fine. I'll see if I can get some pictures this afternoon.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
Have you added in any new fish in the past 4 or 5 weeks ? Was he being chased at all, could the heavy breathing be stress related ?Did you start using any new brands of water conditioners or even open a new container of a trusted brand ?

If you have a hob filter on the tank you can drop the water level a inch or two and let the outflow spill down into the tank, creating a waterfall effect. this creates additional oxygen in the tank and also creates surface agitation. The lower the water level the more oxygen and current is created. Might help him , salt is supposed to be good for gill function so its good you added some in.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
what are you water parameters in his tank? ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
if u have added fish to the tank he was in i would worry about parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store