Help ID - Crenicichla Strigata "Red Back" or Crenicichla Cincta or Something else????

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
I just bought this pike as a Crenicichla Strigata "Red Back" but it doesn't look like a Strigata to me and it kinda reminds me of a Cincta though not quite like it too.

Anyway, was wondering if any one can help me confirm what it is?

These 2 are the pictures taken by it's ex-owner. I figured it will give you guys a better idea of it's colouration since it's still not very stable in my tank

These are the pictures taken in my tank. Sorry for the crappy pics but it is really hard to take pics of it since it's very skittish.

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
Definately not a Cincta

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Looks like a very dark lent. It is not unusual for certain races of lents to lose their spots completely.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It looks like my lents. They have the same orange-red base with the dark banding. The only spots they have are small red/brown spots around the face and gills. They don't have any spots on their body at all.

Mine only show the dark barring like that when they're stressed or mad. Usually it lightens a bit and the red/orange color shows through more.

Here's a pic of mine:

elindra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Singapore
Well the bars look like my Lent though my Lent looks very different. Oh well. Maybe I can see more identification indicators when it's more stable

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store