Help ID this weird catfish

Breeze

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Denver, CO
Hey all,

Totally not a monster, not yet anyway, actually I have no idea. I got a few of these cats from my supplier which were being sold as "Black Dolphin Catfish" so I presumed I'd be getting a few ripsaw catfish, or somthing similar.

I was very mistaken.

I got 4x long, black, eel like catfish, with white tipped fins. Check the pics and help a guy out with an ID!

Thanks in advance all!

IMG_6336.JPG

596048778.jpg

IMG_6344.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe encheloclarius sp. See what viktor thinks thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

local hero

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2006
...in my head
Amblyceps sp.???

Your wholesaler must think they are in one of these families (I do not believe so) as they are not shipping them to California or Texas-

(K) Family Trichomycteridae (Pygidiidae)-Parasitic Catfishes.
All species (D).

(L) Family Cetopsidae-Whalelike Catfishes.
All species (D).

(M) Family Clariidae-Labyrinth Catfishes
All species of the genera Clarias, Dinotopterus, and Heterobranchus (D).

(N) Family Heteropneustidae (Saccobranchidae)-Airsac Catfishes
All species (D).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Breeze

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Denver, CO
local hero local hero your definatly very close, just not right on yet. The color is the biggest difference, completely black except the tips of the lower fins and tail fin.

Still no word back from the supplier with a Latin name, that's why I'm trying to figure this out.

Thanks again for the help.

Maybe encheloclarius sp. See what viktor thinks thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .
Sent him a message, well see what he thinks when he gets back to me. Thanks for the connect.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Who is buying fish by what it's name sounds like? :)

I agree that this is a fish from the Catfish Family Amblycipitidae. It's not a large family, so you can browse the pictures (not every species has photos, so those that don't have the photos you don't need to concern with as they are most likely not your fish) and pick out the best match(es) yourself, please:

Sorry. No slam dunk. Only a good pass, I hope.

EDIT: I saw your thread on PCF, that's the best bet for sure but I'd include all the photos that you had posted here too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishman Dave

Breeze

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Denver, CO
Who is buying fish by what it's name sounds like? :)

I agree that this is a fish from the Catfish Family Amblycipitidae. It's not a large family, so you can browse the pictures (not every species has photos, so those that don't have the photos you don't need to concern with as they are most likely not your fish) and pick out the best match(es) yourself, please:

Sorry. No slam dunk. Only a good pass, I hope.

EDIT: I saw your thread on PCF, that's the best bet for sure but I'd include all the photos that you had posted here too.
Haha I was wrongly informed, and probably shouldn't have presumed anything, but hey ya live and learn. Thanks for the pass, I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure. And no replys over at PCF but I'll be sure to update the photos there as well.

Thanks again!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Haha I was wrongly informed, and probably shouldn't have presumed anything, but hey ya live and learn. Thanks for the pass, I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure. And no replys over at PCF but I'll be sure to update the photos there as well.

Thanks again!
Your sister thread on PCF: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48522#p321137

You got a reply from the highest authority we could think of, Dr. Heok Hee Ng a world renown catfish taxonomist but you have missed a chance to post the additional photos, as I had suggested.

They could have critically influenced Dr. Ng's ID but I, of course, don't know for sure. In general, the ID critically depends on photo quality when dealing with an obscure fish.

The first photo that you neglected would have been the best. The other two are hard to work with IMHO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store