Help me find the killer!

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
This morning, I woke up and found 1 dead rasbora aurotaenia nad the head of a buenos aires tetra.
The eyes of the tetra were eaten and the rasbora had a hole bitten out of its belly. My hujeta pike also lost an eye.

The current stocking of the tank is 3 senegal bichirs, a firemouth, a bolivian ram, a hujeta pike, a pleco, an angelfish, 4 rasbora aurotaenia and a buenos aires tetra.

My guess is the firemouth or senegals.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This morning, I woke up and found 1 dead rasbora aurotaenia nad the head of a buenos aires tetra.
The eyes of the tetra were eaten and the rasbora had a hole bitten out of its belly. My hujeta pike also lost an eye.

The current stocking of the tank is 3 senegal bichirs, a firemouth, a bolivian ram, a hujeta pike, a pleco, an angelfish, 4 rasbora aurotaenia and a buenos aires tetra.

My guess is the firemouth or senegals.

Your analysis may be correct but possibility something is going on with your fish. Check your water parameters. When fish are sick and dying the healthier fish will pick at them. Watch your aquarium from a distance and see if the Firemouth is being aggressive towards tankmates.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Your analysis may be correct but possibility something is going on with your fish. Check your water parameters. When fish are sick and dying the healthier fish will pick at them. Watch your aquarium from a distance and see if the Firemouth is being aggressive towards tankmates.
The firemouth is quite nuetral and the only one he picks on is the bolivian ram. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 27 nitrate

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
If you know it happened at night, my bet would be on the senegals. Or they couldve died and been picked at...
Thats probably what happened, I did notice that the rasbora was acting a little strange yesterday. The buenos aires tetra seemed to be fine though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The firemouth is quite nuetral and the only one he picks on is the bolivian ram. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 27 nitrate

I personally had to remove a male Peacock Cichlid that had Senegal Polys for tankmates. After 2 yrs the African Peacock started to pick on the Senegal's. I think the Firemouth is the culprit.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
My guess would be the senegals. They will try to eat long fish (like the hujeta) even if they are too big. Depending how big they are, attempting to keep them with tetras and rasboras was only a matter of time until they eat them. I've had a Senegal try to eat a pictus catfish almost as big as he was.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
If you know it happened at night, my bet would be on the senegals. Or they couldve died and been picked at...
I agree. This happening at night suggests the poly. The other fishes defenses are down and the poly is a night hunter I believe.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store