Help me start from the ground up with coral breeding!

VenomousSnailz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
Hi everyone, I am still working on my assassin / predatory snail tank but already planning for the future. Coral and breeding it has really caught my eye

What would be a good initial setup and is it possible to link items for me to see and get an idea of everything I'd need to get? What would be the minimum size tank to grow and breed corals?

For example I found a saltwater aquarium setup kit on amazon for 600 bucks (32.5 gallons or so) - would this be good to start with and what else would I need?

What resources are good for this purpose? Guidelines, that kind of thing. Can't seem to find much honestly.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would get some leathers and Xenias first. You can frag them easily (and they grow/reproduce fast), once you sell them you can buy more expensive corals and repeat until it makes a lot of money. All you would need is dragging equipment and probably some kind of cleaner fish or invert to keep the corals happy and healthy.

Reactions: VenomousSnailz

VenomousSnailz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
I would get some leathers and Xenias first. You can frag them easily (and they grow/reproduce fast), once you sell them you can buy more expensive corals and repeat until it makes a lot of money. All you would need is dragging equipment and probably some kind of cleaner fish or invert to keep the corals happy and healthy.
My plan was to start with this

Add coral, cleaner fish and inverts. Once this aquarium is going well, down the line, then can add a frag tank connected to the main tank.

Frag coral from main tank into 2ndary frag tank. Sell.

I'd definitely start with the species you mentioned and expand from there eventually I'd get a much larger main tank and frag tank so would have that and the original setup producing and grow as needed

The reason for starting with that amazon link?

The tank is an all-in-one sold by Fluval. I assume the high price is due to that, should've clarified it's not just a 30 gallon or whatever on its own. This should be big enough to start and get my bearings.

Although I've been a Reptile guy and just getting into this really so the appeal with that is that I don't need to know all the different things to get separately for the most part. So I can learn as I go. But if it would be cheaper / better to buy everything separately I'll have to do that and learn everything from the ground up about saltwater aquariums in general, which I'm already doing but still much to learn

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The fluval is good, I have the 13.5 gallon one. It has all of the basics, down the line you may need to add some machinery like a skimmer, powerhead, or UV filter, especially if you go into harder corals. After your tank is established well, torch coral seems to be in high demand right now, you may want to look into that.

Reactions: VenomousSnailz

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
For the setup I would go with the largest tank you can fit or afford (more water volume equals more stability) I would use a sump if possible because it’s going to give you extra space for equipment like skimmer, calcium reactors, dosing equipment if you choose, heater.
Dosing and calcium reactor are not necessary but will be beneficial if you eventually get into SPS corals.
If you’ve never done salt before you will need to get some experience maintaining water parameters before you just start buying corals. Lighting will also be very important as to what kind of corals you plan to keep.
Anything specific you’d like to know?

VenomousSnailz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2020
Planning on using a HDX 4x2 bin instead of an aquarium now... thoughts? I was going to start with Zoas and some other easy going types but still looking around.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That should work as long as you can rig all of the proper equipment to it. Zoas are a pretty good start, just watch out for palytoxin poisoning when you cut them. Xenia and green star are also a good start, they are fast growers, and despite being pests at time, are always in demand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store