help me to ID this disease.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the most common problems with raising the temp for ick, is that the lesions (holes in the fish) left over as the ick spots erupt with emerging new ick, are prime real estate for bacteria to set up shop, and those often pathogenic bacteria love the higher temps .
Although the usual advice to raise temps, is reasonable because it hastens the ick life cycle, but I never do it, because the resulting secondary bacterial infections can be a worse problem than the ick itself. Especially with fish species that find warmer temps stressful.

ryanstef

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
One of the most common problems with raising the temp for ick, is that the lesions (holes in the fish) left over as the ick spots erupt with emerging new ick, are prime real estate for bacteria to set up shop, and those often pathogenic bacteria love the higher temps .
Although the usual advice to raise temps, is reasonable because it hastens the ick life cycle, but I never do it, because the resulting secondary bacterial infections can be a worse problem than the ick itself. Especially with fish species that find warmer temps stressful.
I have also noticed some fish are shaking ( Shimmying ) in an unusual way. Not every time, but sometimes. What could be the reason?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have also noticed some fish are shaking ( Shimmying ) in an unusual way. Not every time, but sometimes. What could be the reason?
Might just be territorial behavior if doing it next to each other.

Reactions: ryanstef

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the reasons I asked for water parameters, is that you called these Cichla, Orinoco.
Below are some parameters of that river area.
If yours are wild caught, or bred by someone who adheres to certain water parameters, and your tap water is out of that realm, it may be causing enough stress to bring on disease.
B84DEF89-3543-405A-9EAC-00D5B5034F23_1_201_a.jpeg
If you had picked up feral Cichla from Florida, this might be a different stoty.
Cichla were introduced to FLA in the 60s, and have half a century to adapt to opposite water parameters.
And during that 50 years, many that were not adaptable would have died off, in a survival of the fittest mode.
Same here in Panama, Cichla were allowed to invade Lake Gatun, where pH sometimes hits 9, and conductivity from sea water incursion is high. and its taken 50 years tp develop a sustainable population, although they only get 2/3 the size of their South American counter parts.

ryanstef

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022

What is the reason for fish mouth getting red like this? ( photo taken from old post )

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That looks like it would be due to a bacterial infection or high ammonia.

Reactions: ryanstef

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What are ammonia levels in the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store