Help me to Identify the Aro

NSK

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2019
Hi,

I am new to Aro's, previously for 8yrs i had one Oscar unfortunately i missed it. Now i planned to go with Asian Aro and i got one.
Can some one help me to identify what type of Aro is mine, i got it from local Aquarium. They are also confusing me by saying many names.

NSK

My Aro.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Pagoda gold back in the day from a few farms in Singapore but now golden rose splendour high back with maybe a little BBXB in there. Grooming recommendation: change up some lighting and possibly lighter substrate + relax on feeding bc he looking chubby for his age a little bit

Last edited:

NSK

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks Bro,
Yes, yesterday feeding with 3 little gold fish might be the reason for chubby. will reduce the diet but when i do that he is aggressive on other fish.
can you help me why there is a light white layer on the fins, is that any disease or normal. and how old is he any guess, as i don't know to judge.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks Bro,
Yes, yesterday feeding with 3 little gold fish might be the reason for chubby. will reduce the diet but when i do that he is aggressive on other fish.
can you help me why there is a light white layer on the fins, is that any disease or normal. and how old is he any guess, as i don't know to judge.

Welcome aboard

Please quarantine feeder Goldfish prior to feeding.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Nice new Aro and welcome to the forum! Frankly at that age/size I myself couldn't say exactly what's in his/her blood -- out of curiosity what were some of the names your Aquarium was throwing out?

In any case I'd personally recommend feeding frozen food (shrimp/white fish, etc.) and pellets instead of the feeder fish (esp. gold fish, which have little in the way of good nutritional value), soon as you could get it switched over -- just too much chance for disease transmission to your lovely Aro. One other thing that would be stressing me a bit was that (beautiful) piece of driftwood in the tank. Nice as it is, if your Aro jumps and lands on the pointier sections (or does one of those freaking-out-power-swims back and forth at the surface), it could get injured (maybe lightly, maybe seriously), just my personal advice. Best of luck Rahul, keep us updated as it grows out.

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Pagoda gold back in the day from a few farms in Singapore but now golden rose splendour high back with maybe a little BBXB in there. Grooming recommendation: change up some lighting and possibly lighter substrate + relax on feeding bc he looking chubby for his age a little bit
Glad to see you back Bonytang :) But your comment made me think, maybe my Aros are also getting kind of chubby, at 12-12.5" perhaps I should change from twice a day feeding to once a day. I started at once a day but went to twice a day hoping it would calm down my hot-headed Gold Xback (didn't work lol).

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Glad to see you back Bonytang :) But your comment made me think, maybe my Aros are also getting kind of chubby, at 12-12.5" perhaps I should change from twice a day feeding to once a day. I started at once a day but went to twice a day hoping it would calm down my hot-headed Gold Xback (didn't work lol).
congrats on new aro man! got a new baby sturgeon & 2 motoro in the last month just getting them acclimated. in the pic it looks like he's built like a tank! that size already is mature i'm thinking he could probably be ok with just 1 feeding every 2 days...gives time to gut load some feeders for him/her

NSK

Feeder Fish
Mar 24, 2019
Nice new Aro and welcome to the forum! Frankly at that age/size I myself couldn't say exactly what's in his/her blood -- out of curiosity what were some of the names your Aquarium was throwing out?

In any case I'd personally recommend feeding frozen food (shrimp/white fish, etc.) and pellets instead of the feeder fish (esp. gold fish, which have little in the way of good nutritional value), soon as you could get it switched over -- just too much chance for disease transmission to your lovely Aro. One other thing that would be stressing me a bit was that (beautiful) piece of driftwood in the tank. Nice as it is, if your Aro jumps and lands on the pointier sections (or does one of those freaking-out-power-swims back and forth at the surface), it could get injured (maybe lightly, maybe seriously), just my personal advice. Best of luck Rahul, keep us updated as it grows out.
Noted bro, Already planning to change the Driftwood to small one and also the bottom gravel change to white color. Current having a mixed one. Once changed will update the photos for the view point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store