Help: Moving convicts

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
Hello Everyone,
I have a 30 gallon with 5 small convict/blood parrot hybrids. I have 2 definite males and 2 definite females. Unsure about the last.
A pair formed almost immediately and set up a territory on one side of the tank. They laid eggs but they ate them within a couple of days. They stay together and defend their territory against the other 3. Should I remove the other 3 now that a pair have established or can I leave them in the tank to see if another pair forms? The unpaired male has picked a cave on the opposite side of the tank that he defends against the established pair and the other 2 fish. Will removing the 3 unpaired fish weaken the established pair’s bond? It would be nice if I could keep 2 established pairs in the 30. It would be safer for the fry and i feel like it would encourage each pair to spawn more frequently. Idk if that’s true, though. Should I move the others or wait for another possible pair?

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
Ok. I ended up moving the paired fish into a 20 long, moving some fry I’m growing out into the 30, and moving the 3 unpaired fish into my 90 community tank. Eveyone seems to be doin ok so I’ll wait to see if the pair spawns again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store