Help, my fish are bleeding to death

johnny roastbeef

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2007
connectiut
Two months ago I moved my fish and water, media etc from a 55 gal to a 120gal. Same fish, same water, same filtration plus two additional canisters. I added some cycle to the new filters. So here's my problem, in the previous 2 years the 55 was setup, i lost no fish, they were all very healthy and doing well. Two weeks ago I noticed that a tricolor shark had a lesion in it's side, it looked like a cut or scrape so i attributed it to him injuring himself on the rocks in the tank - he gets spooked easily and thrashes around. Then last week out of the blue, a pleco died. Looking at the other fish, i noticed that the tricolor shark now has some blood visible in his anal fin and a tiny spot in his caudal fin. I figured it was related to his injury.

Last night I lost a corey cat, and when I removed it from the tank, I noticed what appears to be a pool of blood under his face in the jaw area. He had no other signs of trauma, but this red pool of blood, none of the other coreys have this. I also saw that my shark has a similar problem with blood under his face, at the base of one of his gills.

Looking at the attached cell photos, the dark spot is the blood.
Any ideas??
thanks

sterling_mcdaniel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
idaho
sounds like bad water quality normally from uncycled tank. possibly high ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

johnny roastbeef

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2007
connectiut
They are fed every day or so. 30-50% water changes at least once per week. I test every day, and have not had even a small amount of amonia in the last 3 weeks. I vacuum regularly, and have 2 canisters and a large HOB for filtration.

Piscineidiot

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
QLD Australia
You haven't accidentally gotten any soap or cleaning agents near the tank/filter/your hands before going into the aquarium, have you? Could be chemical burn?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store