Help! My giant gourami is not looking too good. I am new so I really don't know what to do.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That is looking pretty bad - at this point it is likely moribund.
Best chances would be to move into a qt and treat with an antibiotic like kanaplex (kanamycin).
I definitely recommend getting a test kit (the api freshwater liquid test kit is cheap and reliable), as maintaining stable parameters if often the number one treatment.
12 silver dollars and 2 oscars would still be grossly overstocked for a 125 - it would be best to keep only one of the cichlids and add appropriate dithers (silvers aren’t the best because of how skittish they are). 2 oscars and no dithers can work but is pushing it with how much waste they produce.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Wow...looking at those pics I am forced to assume that the fish is now dead. I agree with the above, regarding the level of overstocking, the incompatibility issue and the problems with differing parameter requirements.

People, please! I am addressing the OP and all the numerous others who do this: when you have a fish that is getting the stuffing beat out of it by tankmates...DO NOT sit around taking pictures, posting them online with questions, and waiting for responses for days! Either the victim or the perpetrator needs to be removed, pronto, before the situation gets to this extreme point. If all the abuse is coming from only one aggressor, then removing that fish reduces the stress on the victim without stressing it even further by moving it.

Specifically, DO NOT watch the thing being tortured for days, as its fins go "missing" and its skin and tissue are systematically torn off, while you mull over your options. And if you have separated the poor thing and it looks like this one does, DO NOT put it back into the tank where all this occurred to it! When it is at this point, it is not much more than a still-barely-breathing chunk of fishfood, to be slowly picked apart by its tankmates.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's a real shame that you didn't join the forum a little sooner! If you had, the death of the GG could so easily have been avoided. We would never have advised you to buy the GG in the first place!

There are so many things that are wrong here. Buying a juvenile GG to go in a 125 tank was a mistake. As the fish grows, and they grow fast, it would outgrow that tank.

As if buying it in the first place wasn't bad enough it then gets put in the 125 regardless, and with other territorial fish already present. That's a recipe for disaster.

Taking the GG out of the mix for treatment was a good move, and getting rid of the parrot was also a positive move....but replacing it with an African cichlid, and then putting the GG back in the mix was crazy on so many levels.

And never checking parameters isn't giving you a fighting chance of succeeding in this hobby.

Learn from this. Ask questions on the forum before diving in to anything. I wish you luck moving forward.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store