HELP!!!!!MY TANK BROKE

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
think about why offroad equipment works. its all about ground pressure. a 100,000 lbs machine can work in a swamp because the tracks only exert a few lbs per sqaure inch. but drive the same machine over a rock and you have dust. consntrated load. btw my spelling sucks

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
unstopable4700;1754018; said:
think about why offroad equipment works. its all about ground pressure. a 100,000 lbs machine can work in a swamp because the tracks only exert a few lbs per sqaure inch. but drive the same machine over a rock and you have dust. consntrated load. btw my spelling sucks
That's a good expanded explanation. The foam helps to spread the weight of the tank and water out evenly accross the entire footprint so the majority of the weight isn't concentrated in one or two "high spots". You more than likely couldn't even spot these "high spots" with the naked eye.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Is there such thing as going to THICK with the foam underneath? In my mind wouldnt the tank press down to hard and press on the bottom peice?

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
If you have a glass tank, You can run the foam ONLY if the foam covers the entire frame of the tank. You don;t want to have the foam pushing up on the bottom glass.

For glass tank, just make sure to have a piece of plywood to spread the weight around.

For acrylic, you do have to have a foam and plywood underneath te bottom pane.

stan

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
ITHURTZ;1754034; said:
Is there such thing as going to THICK with the foam underneath? In my mind wouldnt the tank press down to hard and press on the bottom peice?
You probably only have two choices in thickness- 1/2" and 1". I don't think you could really go wrong with either although 1" is probably overkill for anything under 150 gallons. You'd be surprised how sturdy this stuff is. In my 190g which is around 400 pounds empty and around 2,000 pounds full, you can't even tell that the foam is compressed at all with 1/2" thick foam.

cichlids _killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
northside of da chi
terd ferguson;1754047; said:
You probably only have two choices in thickness- 1/2" and 1". I don't think you could really go wrong with either although 1" is probably overkill for anything under 150 gallons. You'd be surprised how sturdy this stuff is. In my 190g which is around 400 pounds empty and around 2,000 pounds full, you can't even tell that the foam is compressed at all with 1/2" thick foam.
look like you guys know what u talkin about......so can some one tell me do i need a foam on top of this stand ???

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
What's the bottom of your tank look like?

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
cichlids _killer;1754983; said:
what u mean??? its a glass tank AGA ...thanks
I would use the foam. It won't cost you very much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store