Help need in new pond filter design

RuthMcNabb22

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2018
Hi all I'm after abit of advise.
Basically I wanted a gravity fed filter but it's not looking like the filter would be better at the top of the waterfall (about 4 ft higher than pond water level) there for I'm sort of left having a pump fed system.

I've read about pumps being where the bottom drain is and I'm not overly keen putting it under water.

My question is can I put the pump on the outside of the pond so the pump is gravity fed and then it will go up to the filter?

My other question is how do you pipe up a skimmer to this is imagine that I could have a problem with it just take flow from the easiest side. But I suppose you have forces on both sides so not sure.

Any advise or diagrams greatfully recieved

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Do you have pictures of your pond, or a sketch of the pond? Some sort of visual would really help.

Glass Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2018
I have seen people put pump in the skimmer. It would need to combo filter skimmer. Makes easy to clean off It just depends on size and design of skimmer.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
could you split the filer in half and have mechanical done gravity fed at the base of the pond then pump upto the top of the waterfall and do the bioi part ? Mechanical will remove large debris so filter does not turn it into soup … easier to remove.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
Do you mean install a bottom drain to the pump, or just have a pipe coming over the edge of the pond to the pump? If the 2nd, the only thing to consider is the priming of the pump when first switched on, when the pipe doesn’t have water in it. Not all pumps are self priming, so it would just sit there going like the clappers running dry.

I have a ball valve on the skimmer and main water pickup point for the pump, they can then be used to restrict the flow to get the desired result on the slimmer, and also allow the slimmer to be turned off when feeding (using an additional slide valve in the skimmer line - the ball valve for adjusting flow, slide valve for easy shut off for feeding)

Hope that makes sense.

Jaymesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Daytona Beach fl
If you got a waterfall and some good rocks it will build its own bacterial filter I've had mine for 4 yrs fully stocked with over 25 species of tropical fish and my water has been on point I use it to start up any new tank I install to speed up the cycle

IMG_20190825_103803.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store