Help: New fish refusing to eat

Flaffy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hi,
I've recently introduced a Chinese High Fin Banded Shark to my goldfish tank. However, it hasn't eaten since it arrived.
It has been 4 days already and I'm afraid it'll starve to death, any suggestions on how to get him to eat?

I have tried feeding him Algae wafers and bottom sinking Hikari goldfish food.

Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hi,
I've recently introduced a Chinese High Fin Banded Shark to my goldfish tank. However, it hasn't eaten since it arrived.
It has been 4 days already and I'm afraid it'll starve to death, any suggestions on how to get him to eat?

Thanks!
New fish can get like this. Still trying to settle in. Would wait and let it settle before trying to feed again.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Your high fin certainly won't starve to death after four days of not eating or even a few more days.Just leave alone,let it settle in to its new surroundings and it will start eating when it is ready to do so.

Flaffy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
I see, it looks like it's getting skinny though. How long should I wait before worrying?
I currently have separated him in a net breeder separation box in fear of the goldfish causing him to stress out, should I let him out to explore the tank?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I see, it looks like it's getting skinny though. How long should I wait before worrying?
I currently have separated him in a net breeder separation box in fear of the goldfish causing him to stress out, should I let him out to explore the tank?
I would let it out to explore. Try feeding every other day.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,let it out,its not going to be any less stressed out cooped up in that cage.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi,

Thanks!
Welcome aboard Ronald.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Keeping it in a breeder net is counter-productive, it should only be a temporary option if he was seriously being hassled by another fish until you moved him or the other fish. Otherwise, it will only create more stress, delay him adapting to your tank, and prevent him eating any available algae, leftover bits of food or microbes in your substrate, etc.

It can be nerve wracking waiting for a new fish to settle in and begin eating, trying to figure out what foods, they'll eat, etc., but some fish just need time, which might take them anything from a few days to a few weeks in some cases. Sometimes the less you fuss with them the better, some will eat a bit at night or get by on bits of algae, leftover particles of food on the bottom, etc. before you see them eat.

First of the year I got some wild angelfish, been through the drill many times of new fish not eating for a while, but these went for weeks, as in 5 or more weeks of eating little to nothing before they came around. Tried various foods and nothing, was starting to worry about them. They finally came around and are doing just fine.

I assume you know Chinese sharks get big, need cool water and eventually a big tank, etc?

Flaffy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2019
Thanks for all the tips!
And ye I know he'll grow to be a big ugly fish one day, I just hope he manages to pull through now.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Let him out to explore, he won’t adjusted being seperated. He may nibble on things when your not watching and will have a better shot freely swimming around and fully adjusting. You can offer a little food every other day and take it from there. Just give the fish time to come around, it’s ok if he doesn’t eat for several days. You can try changing up the food options as well. Good luck!

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store