Help please, Upset and frustrated! HITH, thought we beat it...

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Thanks for the feedback and support. I will go ahead for one more round with the mb dabbing on the small spot to see if that helps. I will report back in a week or so with an update.

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
That's more than I thought. I'd treat with metronidazole.

The directions for the 3mm hexshield pellets say to give your fish only what they can consume within one minute. I wonder how this can really apply to all fish. A 3-4" fish will usually consume several times the amount of hexshield 3mm pellets (as a percent of body weight) compared to that of a larger 12" fish. So a small fish will receive a much larger dose of metronidazole than a larger fish.

I definitely don't want you to give your fish too much metronidazole Phillip but I'm just wondering if he might not have been getting enough hexshield at each feeding to deliver enough metronidazole.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Yeah, I would feed him like 5-7 pellets but I don't know if he eats them all.

He doesn't like them.

I drop them in, he goes for one right away and spits it out. The pellets sit on the substrate and he will then go back to them. As he is eating them lots of mess is coming from his gills. Like broken down bits of food.

I watch his belly and see if he is keeping roundish. I check to see that he is still pooping and he is. So he is eating some but how much of the meds are getting ingested is unknown to me.

That's why this time around I am going to go for a long period of time.

On a kinda side note, the small spot looks to be much smaller today and almost fully healed like within 24 hours a big different has occured. I even got my gf to look too and she agrees that it is definitely different and smaller.

I guess time will tell. I will still keep up with big water changes and vacuuming old poops every other day. Keeping nitrates below 5ppm till he has fully recovered. I estimate on my 75g I am changing approx 200g of water a week.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, once or twice a day is a LOT more than I was thinking too.

It doesn't sound to me like your fish was eating enough, that, and if the food lingers in the tank for any period of time some of those meds are leaching out of the food. It's a powerful tasting/smelling food, and some fish definitely won't find the taste appealing. I fed twice a day, exclusively, for 3-4 days, to fish that would eat it fairly eagerly. The last fish that I used it on came to me in this condition, and thank goodness he ate it like it was his last meal, and he still required 3 treatments before he completely stopped shedding clear/curly poop. He's been 100% free of issues for several months now, so definitely happy with the results, again.

Reactions: Grinch

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
BTW - over the years adding metro to the tank water has never ended in a positive result for me. Always best to get metro into the gut, where it is fully absorbed quickly. Others may have had better success with that method.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store