Help pricing Koi

DavidTawil

Feeder Fish
Sep 2, 2019
I have a friend that's looking to sell a few koi. He's looking for some advice on fair pricing. They are about 18 years old and over 24 inches. Attached below is a picture.

All advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

6E55CD1C-530E-480B-BA77-592B87793C13.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a friend that's looking to sell a few koi. He's looking for some advice on fair pricing. They are about 18 years old and over 24 inches. Attached below is a picture.

All advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

View attachment 1503499
It will depend on where he got the Koi from and what type they are. If they were imported from a Japanese supplier he could list them in the thousand dollar range but would need certified documents.
If domestic sale for hundreds depending on the type. Here is a reference
https://www.ohiokoi.com/domestic-koi

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Koi are only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for them, even the ones with provenance. If your friends fish were worth a great deal then he would already know.

The more vibrant and defined the colours, usually the higher the price. Plain colours are not worth a great deal, black and white fish need to be black and white not grey and white or black and cream, etc.
The defined types sell for higher prices.
Clean markings sell better.
All koi of 24” are worth more than smaller fish but again comes down to what someone is willing to pay for them.
A good idea is to check local fish ads. Here in the uk we have aquarist classified - that is throughout the entire uk so I can see what prices other people are asking (often with photos).
Good to start too high and come down ( you can never go up!)

TheFishWorks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2023
Ditto to what has been said above.
The two most valuable in that picture would most likely be the butterfly ogon and snake. Worth seeing what they're going for in your local area. Our Australian-based business would sell those two for around the $700 mark but rehoming as a non-commercial seller often comes with a significant mark down, unfortunately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store