HELP! PROBLEM!....RAYS NIPPING EACH OTHER!

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
OK....Problem....Woke up today, turned onthe lights and went to get the food ready....And my 2 Motoros have nips out on the sides of them....They are both females, and been together since birth....been in my tank for over 2 months no problem......I know it was them nipping at each other but why, I saw the bigger one going after her sister? What causes them to do this....

They get fed several chunks of fresh talapia, black worms, red wigglers....they ate just like normal today, and the water is fine....I went to home depot to section off on ray teh one that gotta beatin up.....but is this just a one time deal or are tehy constantly gonna fight like this now?

Looking for real knowledge here, so no awh that sucks replies and no helpful info on this one guys.... :cry:

hey tank they are in is inclosed.....5x18 foot print....good for them to grow out of 'til my 300 is ready for them....

DSC01245.JPG

DSC01271.JPG

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
Going to the store in few to buy some....
I added some Melafix inthe tank to help out.....the other one is buried and is a little more banged up...a few good chunks takin out.... :cry:

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
DeLgAdO said:
sounds likes its the other fish
The 3 cichlids pay no attention to them....the nips that are taking out are way to small....the mouths on them are 3-4 times as big....and before I seperated tehm I say the one female go and bite the other....and take a chunk out...

Other wise I would of taking out the other fish in a heart beat....

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
That doesn't look like a bite from another ray.

Are you sure your cichlids or aro are not doing that.

Rays usually fray the edges when they bite. It is not that clean. They generally do not start getting bitey until they are reaching sexual maturity.

I would remove the other fish.

Colin

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
They are all well fed,....

Moving some fish around......Just gonna have the featherfin cat, Aro, and rays....

Peacock and the 2 blues are been moved to the 55gal for now....
Gonna finish the stand for the 300 and get that running....

They rays dont seem to be affected by the injuries....both swimming thebottom and just ate some more fresh talapia......

Just wanted to make sure it would not get worst.....

Thanks guys....

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I do not have any personal experience with this but, I have heard some horror stories about the damager that a silver aro can inflict on a ray.

I know a lot depends on personality. It is just something to think about.

Good looking little rays.

Colin

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
that looks like a heater burn to me , ive had lots of rays get that untill i put on the heaters gaurds . i bet thats what it is
my $.02

Brad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store