[HELP] RTCxTSN hybrid not doing anything

hydroxide

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2015
Indonesia
www.reddit.com
NEED HELP!
Earlier today, i bought an RTCxTSN hybrid ( http://imgur.com/wl2rOzi ) from a LFS near my house. At the LFS, the fish was healthy and very active, together with other RTCxTSN's. After i bought it, i went home and put it in my tank; and the fish just swam down to the tank's corner, just sits there, and does nothing but breathing, even when I poked it with a stick. What should I do?

UPDATE: after 2 hours, the fish is still... well... not doing anything. yet it changed its position a little.

PS: The fish's length is around 7", and in the tank, there's also an alligator gar (around 8" in size) that pays almost no attention to the catfish, so the gar isn't a threat.

UPDATE : it has been around 12 hrs after i bought it. its now already pretty lively as it swims around the tank :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It can take up to a week or even two for many fish in many cases to get borderline comfortable in their new tank, given there are no additional stressors.

Can't discount the dither effect of a bunch of swimming tank mates.

I'd strongly recommend not to feed it live. Both your catfish and the gar will easily take frozen-thawed foods of aquatic origin.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Not all but vast majority of catfish, including the parents of your hybrid, are predominantly or even strictly nocturnal. Their barbels, which carry taste / smell buds, tell them the direction and the distance to food / prey and thus give them a huge advantage over diurnal fishes, which rely on eye sight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store