HELP! Water conditioner safe for sturgeon?

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
I recently ordered 5 Siberian sturgeon and 1 diamond sturgeon, and they come today. I just read an article on sturgeon web that said that sturgeon can't tolerate a lot of chemicals. Well, I recently added aqueon water conditioner into my grow out as I just did a water change. The question is, if I put my sturgeon in the grow out, will the chemicals in the conditioner that might be lingering in the water affect my sturgeon in any way? I saved up for a while for these guys, and dropped around $700. So I really don't want to flush that down the toilet. What are the ingredients in the conditioner? I couldn't find any resources online, just the chemicals that can kill sturgeon. Here's a list.
Formalin/formaldehyde
Potassium permanganate
Copper sulphate
or any treatment that states not to be used with golden orfe or Rudd.

I live in the US, so the water conditioners definitely don't say not to be used with golden orfe or Rudd as those species are almost nonexistent here in the states. This is my fault, as I did a hell of a lot of research, but it looks like not enough.
Thanks guys,
George H

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently ordered 5 Siberian sturgeon and 1 diamond sturgeon, and they come today. I just read an article on sturgeon web that said that sturgeon can't tolerate a lot of chemicals. Well, I recently added aqueon water conditioner into my grow out as I just did a water change. The question is, if I put my sturgeon in the grow out, will the chemicals in the conditioner that might be lingering in the water affect my sturgeon in any way? I saved up for a while for these guys, and dropped around $700. So I really don't want to flush that down the toilet. What are the ingredients in the conditioner? I couldn't find any resources online, just the chemicals that can kill sturgeon. Here's a list.
Formalin/formaldehyde
Potassium permanganate
Copper sulphate
or any treatment that states not to be used with golden orfe or Rudd.

I live in the US, so the water conditioners definitely don't say not to be used with golden orfe or Rudd as those species are almost nonexistent here in the states. This is my fault, as I did a hell of a lot of research, but it looks like not enough.
Thanks guys,
George H

I personally don't use that product but does it removes Chlorine and Chloramine?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think what you read is a general consideration, something along the lines that sturgeon are sensitive to pollution.

The primary chemical that removes chlorine or chloramine is usually sodium thiosulfate and I can't imagine that a small excess of it could affect your fish but truth be told, IDK. I've only ever raised the siberians (baeri) to small sizes and I didn't have to treat my water because I was not on city water.

What did mine in was the low hardness and TDS (hence unstable pH) and/or high summer temperatures.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey George, first off, you need to know whether you have chlorine treated tap water, or chloramine treated tap water, and how much in ppm. Then understand the difference, and treat accordingly. Have a read of this, it will help.

The water conditioner won't hurt your sturgeon, but you really need to know what you are treating for, so that you understand how much you should be using. See link above.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Hey George, first off, you need to know whether you have chlorine treated tap water, or chloramine treated tap water, and how much in ppm. Then understand the difference, and treat accordingly. Have a read of this, it will help.

The water conditioner won't hurt your sturgeon, but you really need to know what you are treating for, so that you understand how much you should be using. See link above.
Yes, i'll vouch for this wholeheartedly. Find out from your local authority what your levels are and treat accordingly. I was dosing as per seachem instructions but was in fact dosing 5 times more than I needed too because I hadn't done my homework regarding my water supply. Prime's expensive stuff so I was a happy bunny.

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
Well, we aren't using city water. We are using well water, but I don't know what's all in it so I decided to take that precaution and use water conditioner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store