Help. What’s happening with my grammode?

LiamPH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2020
My grammode has been puffing up to one other fish in the tank now and then but mostly they stay out each other’s way, I noticed what looked to be a small flesh wound on the side of his body but over the pieriod of 2days it has begun to open up...
His also not eating.
What’s happening?
Any advice is appreciated

7C20FFB4-A2EE-4D62-B1CB-0B691199B931.jpeg

75439AF9-AE69-4720-86CF-262302B2F1EA.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My grammode has been puffing up to one other fish in the tank now and then but mostly they stay out each other’s way, I noticed what looked to be a small flesh wound on the side of his body but over the pieriod of 2days it has begun to open up...
His also not eating.
What’s happening?
Any advice is appreciated

View attachment 1410024

View attachment 1410025
Fight wound would seperate asap. Clean water and.salt will help wound heal up.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Have ordered some salt and will see how he gets on, cheers
Why are you ordering salt. Salt (NaCl) is salt (NaCl).
Aquarium salt is B.S.
I get mine in 50 Lb bags from the home improvement store, for $5 a bag.
On a side note, gram modes are not community fish, especially if your tank is under 200 gallons.
If under 200, it should be in a tank by itself.

LiamPH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2020
Why are you ordering salt. Salt (NaCl) is salt (NaCl).
Aquarium salt is B.S.
I get mine in 50 Lb bags from the home improvement store, for $5 a bag.
On a side note, gram modes are not community fish, especially if your tank is under 200 gallons.
If under 200, it should be in a tank by itself.
I assumed aquarium salt would be best...? I didn’t think I could use table salt...XD
Thanks for the knowledge

Reactions: tlindsey

LiamPH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2020
Have ordered some salt and will see how he gets on, cheers
This is him today, I’ve added the correct amount of salt to my aquarium..do you think he stands a chance of healing? His not being picked as he has his own cave only he can fit in and out.DA397607-88B0-4C79-90B6-E90BAE6202E0.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This is him today, I’ve added the correct amount of salt to my aquarium..do you think he stands a chance of healing? His not being picked as he has his own cave only he can fit in and out.View attachment 1410383
Tbh even with it's own cave it will continue to be fighting or possibly deaths if it's in the same aquarium with the aggressor. Personally never kept Grammodes but hear they have Dovii like aggressive behavior. So I absolutely agree with Duane. Space is critical when keeping Cichlid especially high aggressive species. Also as they mature it will get worse. You more than likely will have to rehome fish.

LiamPH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2020
Tbh even with it's own cave it will continue to be fighting or possibly deaths if it's in the same aquarium with the aggressor. Personally never kept Grammodes but hear they have Dovii like aggressive behavior. So I absolutely agree with Duane. Space is critical when keeping Cichlid especially high aggressive species. Also as they mature it will get worse. You more than likely will have to rehome fish.
Yes I always knew as they’d get bigger I’d have to rehome eventually, I’ve had all my cichlids since they were 1-2 inches so have never had trouble in the tank before this. The grammode hasn’t fought with anyone since the first mark appeared I just didn’t realise it would begin to open up so badly. Hopefully the salt and clean water works it’s magic and I can find him a more suitable home.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store