Help with a new look? Cichlid Experts?

Mosdefenate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
Ft.Lauderdale Florida
Today i decided i was done with buying feeder fish. I have a 120 gal with 2 Pbass 1 Tiger Oscar 1 Jack Dempsy 2 Gouramis 2 Plecos. My friend just set up his new 125 and hes putting in 1 Red Devil 1 Florida Gar and 1 Tiger Oscar. I figured hey why not give up my fish to him so i could redo my tank to the way i liked it before i got pbass. So i asked him if he wanted the 2Pbass and 1 Oscar, he said alright. So i told him $50 and he agreed. So now im going to be stuck with a tank of 2 Gouramis 2 Plecos 1 Jack Dempsy. I was thinking to get another jack dempsy (male), put my 2 convicts in there. a Pictus cat. and maybe get 2 Red devils, 2 firemouths. 2 salvinis? or other CA/SA Cichlids Maybe some other fish that get pretty small from any kind of fish aslong as they all will be reasonable in size not to big not to small? could somone tell me what you'd' put with 2Jacks 2 Gouramis 2 Plecos? thanks and would the list i kinda provided be to much when fish are grown? My tank is a 120 Standard being filtered by 2 AC110's and a Magnum 350 canister (if needed) and a 200+gph powerhead. The tank is filled with sand as substrate and a pretty large castle in the middle with alot of plants.

Stab

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
What kind of gouramies?

Even with a tank this size I would not keep 2 breeding pairs of cichlids together. Why not opt for a nice pair of something mean and colorful as a centerpiece and then get a few other fish to play role of dithers?

On the other hand, a pair of salvinis MAY work with a pair JDs... I dunno... When I had a breeding pair of JDs they had a slightly smaller salvini in with them. That sal was killed on the 2nd day the first batch of eggs were laid. Actually, I was the one who had to put him out. Before I noticed hightened aggression and could interfere JDs ripped his pectoral fins straight from his body and ate his eyes :(

Mosdefenate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
Ft.Lauderdale Florida
Stab;658236; said:
What kind of gouramies?

Even with a tank this size I would not keep 2 breeding pairs of cichlids together. Why not opt for a nice pair of something mean and colorful as a centerpiece and then get a few other fish to play role of dithers?

On the other hand, a pair of salvinis MAY work with a pair JDs... I dunno... When I had a breeding pair of JDs they had a slightly smaller salvini in with them. That sal was killed on the 2nd day the first batch of eggs were laid. Actually, I was the one who had to put him out. Before I noticed hightened aggression and could interfere JDs ripped his pectoral fins straight from his body and ate his eyes :(
well it doesnt have to be breeding i just figured 2 of each would work nicely it could be 1 of each, the convs are already a pair though, but the cichlids at big als and petsupermarket here are usualy, red devils convicts jack dempsys fire mouths green terrors (some lfs have salvinis) so the tank would mainly be stocked with those fish?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Leave red devils outof the equation

How about this- buy another jack dempsey and get a pair, then get another decen sized fish or two, like a texas cichlid and salvini, something like that.

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I don't know what kind of Gourami's you have but I wouldn't recommend two red devils for that tank. If you are going to go with a drip system it could possibly work with a lot of fish just for the fact that there would be so many fish to diffuse the aggression. But without a drip you are either looking at way too large of a bioload or a mass murder from your more aggressive fish.

Mosdefenate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
Ft.Lauderdale Florida
Gourami Swami;658307; said:
Leave red devils outof the equation

How about this- buy another jack dempsey and get a pair, then get another decen sized fish or two, like a texas cichlid and salvini, something like that.
yea figured RD's wouildnt be so good sisnce they are so mean :irked: so basicly i can double up maybe tripple up any smaller cichlids? what about green terrors? the fire mouths? ughh i cant remmeber what other cichlids i had when i first joined lol what are some other decent sized ones?

Mosdefenate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
Ft.Lauderdale Florida
ammerman19;658312; said:
I don't know what kind of Gourami's you have but I wouldn't recommend two red devils for that tank. If you are going to go with a drip system it could possibly work with a lot of fish just for the fact that there would be so many fish to diffuse the aggression. But without a drip you are either looking at way too large of a bioload or a mass murder from your more aggressive fish.
well the gouramis are nothing special just came with my neighbors tank when they moved. and i was wondering would 1 RD work?

Mosdefenate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
Ft.Lauderdale Florida
ammerman19;658312; said:
well the gouramis are nothing special just came with my neighbors tank when they moved. and i was wondering would 1 RD work?

Mosdefenate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
Ft.Lauderdale Florida
ammerman19;658312; said:

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
mmm maybe try some firmouths and salvini's. If you need more fish maybe try some Jewel cichlids, they are african but work well with the others. All are aggressive I wouldn't be surprised if your gouramis end up dead though. If you go smaller and provide lots of territories I think you should have a decent chance of having a FULL tank with few casualties

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store