Help with building my arowana a pond

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I posted a thread on the pond forum a month ago with no replies so hopefully you guys can help me. So I can get immediate answers.

I've never built a pond before and I need lots of tips and advice on how to make it as safe and comfortable as possible for my arowana.
I need help with:
-Insulation tips (how to keep the pond warm as possible)
-Safety (how to animal proof the pond so my fish is safe from cats, cranes, raccoon, possums, hawks, etc)
-Construction choices (either rubber tub dug into ground, pond liner, or wooden frame)
-Any more tips to make it nice
-Materials and detailed construction tips
-Size anywhere between 250 gallons to 400
-Filtration, heating, substrate choice, plant choices
I live in Florida so the winters aren't too cold
Also need help with pond maintenance (how to keep it clean and algae/bacteria free) Also if certain pond chemicals are safe for my arowana and fish that help maintain mosquito control and other insects without being eaten by my arowana since I don't like feeding live fishto it so no mosquito fish sadly (can avoid this if you don't know or have another method for insect and frog/pest control)
Silver Arowana's grow up to 4 ft long, top swimming fish, when scared they jump quite high so also tips on keeping it inside its pond so it doesn't jump out and hurt itself.
Also what plants to put floating?

Also should the angels stay in the tank or go out with the aro?

The pictures are of the aro and the space in which I'm building it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Personally I would build on above ground with a glass viewing window. In the UK we can buy complete fibreglass tubs with Windows 1000g up.
I would also cover it, make a lid with a void and fill it with insulation from a builders depot, maybe Kingspan or cellotex.
Build a frame and fill the sides and beneath with the same and polystyrene peanuts in the voids.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
If money isn't an issue maybe even have it mounted into the building so it's a pond outside and the viewing window is indoors!-)

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Personally I would build on above ground with a glass viewing window. In the UK we can buy complete fibreglass tubs with Windows 1000g up.
I would also cover it, make a lid with a void and fill it with insulation from a builders depot, maybe Kingspan or cellotex.
Build a frame and fill the sides and beneath with the same and polystyrene peanuts in the voids.
That sounds like a great idea thanks

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
After a couple days of research I've begun to plan out a partial idea of what this pond will be like. It will be between 300-500 gal haven't gotten measurements yet of outside space but lots of room after I clear the plants(got school so can't rn). In the pond will be a thin layer of sand or gravel(debatable not really into no substrate but don't want too much cause buildup and etc) I'll have ceramic pots with gravel and pea gravel for some plants (idk what type of plants go nice with aro and stay fairly neat) I'll have a pleco or something for algae control. Rocks and slabs will surround the pond along with some cushions and memory foam plugs in inside maybe to cushion the aro if it jumps against (need some example of actual things to use) There will be a net the covers and surround the pond to keep predators out, leaves out,and to keep arowana in pond if it jumps. A electronic high frequency bird house for cats and raccoons and birds too near and a mosquito lamp hanging nearby for insects. Idk what to use to regulate mosquito in pond and larvae (can't use mosquito fish aro will eat then) they sell tablets for ponds but idk if safe or work. Also I need a fish to use to test the safety and of pond after construction and cycle and all that what fish to use? Something decent sized so it can test the net for predators not something small but also has to live with aro so not super mean or even close to mean. I need to decide a good filter and size of pond. Idk if I should use liner or pre made fiberglass and plastic pond tubs pre built. Also should I have a de-icer in Florida? Does it give off heat? Also I need to find a heater. I know lots of words and updates but I just want this to work out perfectly.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Questions:

Types of pond plants to use? Good with arowana?

Types of pond mates?

Can koi be solitary and can they really control mosquito larvae or even eat mosquito larvae?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Sounds like a great project and something that will be well worth it.

Just a few comments that may or may not apply:

1) I would think a koi and arowana would have different temperature needs

2) I would want at least the lip of the pond to be several inches above ground level since rain run off from the house or surrounding ground might bring in unwanted chemicals from the roof or lawn

3) Something above ground probably gives you a lot more options with heating, pumping, protection from predators and protection from chemicals. The cost of a stand (be it concrete or brick) could be very affordable especially if you do the work yourself, and may be physically easier than digging out 50 cubic feet of earth

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Sounds like a great project and something that will be well worth it.

Just a few comments that may or may not apply:

1) I would think a koi and arowana would have different temperature needs

2) I would want at least the lip of the pond to be several inches above ground level since rain run off from the house or surrounding ground might bring in unwanted chemicals from the roof or lawn

3) Something above ground probably gives you a lot more options with heating, pumping, protection from predators and protection from chemicals. The cost of a stand (be it concrete or brick) could be very affordable especially if you do the work yourself, and may be physically easier than digging out 50 cubic feet of earth
Wow thanks never thought of the run off. Also how would I build a stand exactly?

Also it's true koi and arowana have different temp choices so what fish should I use to control the mosquito larvae and use as a test fish in my pond when it's built

Also should I use a pre made tub or pond liner

cuervochan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
WC
This is what I would get for an outdoor pond if I had a space like yours http://pentairaes.com/fiberglass-tanks-with-window.html especially since these guys are near you in Florida (save on shipping by picking it up yourself). These tanks are pretty bulletproof and are insulated with a viewing window. I would suggest maybe the 600 or 720 gallon for your Aro and have a glass or acrylic cover made to keep out the animals and bugs (mosquitos especially).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store