Help with feeding Blind 13yr old Oscar

Grouch15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2022
Hello, Barry is a 13yr old oscar we rescued at 8yrs old from a guy moving. He is blind with cataracts which happened in the last 6months. We thinks he sees shadows though. We are having trouble feeding him. He has only eaten Tetra large cichlid pellets his whole life and we could never wean him off. We had success splashing the water to get him to come up to eat. Tapping the tank at the top. But now he is freaked out since we went through a course of antibiotics for hith. I've tried shrimp from the grocery store with long tweezers, all foods you can think of with the tweezers. I know maybe time will help but going without food might stress him out and cause his hith to come back. Any thoughts?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, Barry is a 13yr old oscar we rescued at 8yrs old from a guy moving. He is blind with cataracts which happened in the last 6months. We thinks he sees shadows though. We are having trouble feeding him. He has only eaten Tetra large cichlid pellets his whole life and we could never wean him off. We had success splashing the water to get him to come up to eat. Tapping the tank at the top. But now he is freaked out since we went through a course of antibiotics for hith. I've tried shrimp from the grocery store with long tweezers, all foods you can think of with the tweezers. I know maybe time will help but going without food might stress him out and cause his hith to come back. Any thoughts?
Welcome aboard
It will help greatly if you listed water parameters Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate and PH.
Also size of aquarium the Oscar and how often water changes and filter maintenance are performed.
What percentage of water removed during weekly, biweekly, or monthly?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
It will help greatly if you listed water parameters Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate and PH.
Also size of aquarium the Oscar and how often water changes and filter maintenance are performed.
If the Oscar has cataracts as you stated definitely untreatable unless a animal vet can do the surgery.
Cloudy eye can be treated with proper water conditions.

Last edited:

Grouch15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2022
Welcome aboard
Hello, Ph is always 8-9, we have hard water here. Tank 175gallons, nitrite o, ammonia, o, phosphorus. 5, nitrate 50, kh6, gh 7, salt 0.3%. He has a pressure filter for 1000gal and back filter for 100 along with filter tanks underneath. His eyes are toast, vet said enucleation only thing but they dont bother him. Every 3 days 20% water changes but going to weekly now which would be 50%. Just finishing his antibiotics. Will be using Dr. Erk Johnsons brf-15 to reestablish bacteria, have been using koizyme to help out compete bad bacteria. Poor grumpy old man.😉

Reactions: tlindsey

Grouch15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2022
I know some fish can find food by smell but not sure about Oscars.
Definitely, they have lots of sensors which are like tiny holes all over there head, which is why they get hole in head so easily. I thought really smelly food would entice him but no.

Grouch15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2022
If the Oscar has cataracts as you stated definitely untreatable unless a animal vet can do the surgery.
Cloudy eye can be treated with proper water conditions.
One eye pupil is blown and the other is a cataract. Vet said removal was all they would do but I feel he still sees shadows somewhat. So sad

• Sad

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, Ph is always 8-9, we have hard water here. Tank 175gallons, nitrite o, ammonia, o, phosphorus. 5, nitrate 50, kh6, gh 7, salt 0.3%. He has a pressure filter for 1000gal and back filter for 100 along with filter tanks underneath. His eyes are toast, vet said enucleation only thing but they dont bother him. Every 3 days 20% water changes but going to weekly now which would be 50%. Just finishing his antibiotics. Will be using Dr. Erk Johnsons brf-15 to reestablish bacteria, have been using koizyme to help out compete bad bacteria. Poor grumpy old man.😉
Great to know that you're on top of everything.
Thirteen is absolutely awesome for a cichlid like a Oscar imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store