Help With Geo ID

hbengtson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
USA
Need some help with Geo Id's please- have been looking for a set of geo Tocantins for a while- this came across on another site as a set of 6 wild caught for sale- but the spot seems a little big for geo altifrons Tocantins? Also the red head doesn't make sense? Any ideas? Just came across these late late last pm eklikewoa- considering them, but still considering yours-

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1338392010.494726.jpg

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
You are at least two species in there. Note some have spotty tales and smaller lateral spots? Those look very much like G. altifrons. Virtually impossible to say where they came from though. The ones with orange heads are, well, orange heads.

Might want to ask if they were all collected from the same location. If so, you may be looking at G. altifrons "Tapajos", which has a taller body profile and a more yellow base color.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
He has two groups of Geophagus for sale: the Tocantins and G. megasema. The pictures from the two auctions are taken at different angles but they appear to be of the same mixed group of fish in the same tank. There are two species pictured in both auctions. I think he's trying to pass off orange heads as megasema, which they are not. At least that's not what is pictured.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
I've seen two vendors recently listing orange heads as megasema. I suspect that it's probably an error on the exporter's end. Those are definitely not megasema.

The interesting part is that Rio Tocantins is not very close to Rio Tapajos, but it's connected to Rio Araguaia. G. sp. orange head and G. altifrons are found in both areas. Assuming these fish were collected together, it's likely that they are either G. sp. orange head "Tapajos" and G. altifrons "Tapajos", or G. sp. orange head "Araguaia" and G. altifrons "Tocantins".

The difference between G. sp. orange head "Tapajos" and G. sp. orange head "Araguaia" is not clear to me, but some say the gill plates are copper/gold in G. sp. orange head "Tapajos" but not in G. sp. orange head "Araguaia".

hbengtson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
USA
I contacted him about the fish- "Both are together in the same 4x4 tank.2 differnet species,they are listed
as they were exported from brazil."

I'm interested in the altifrons- do you guys think the markings indicate probable altifrons on the non orange heads?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store