Help with Goliath Tigerfish

MidwestLTC

Feeder Fish
Oct 29, 2018
Ive recently gotten a goliath tiger fish from my local fish store and its looking skinny due to not eating .. its been a couple of days now that it hasnt ate . What to feed this fish . Size is about 4 inches

MidwestLTC

Feeder Fish
Oct 29, 2018
This is my tank . It is a 55 gallon . Yes i know i will need to upgrade but no worries i have a pond set up for him already when he gets bigger . The fishes in here are only zebra danios

20181029_134524.jpg 20181029_134321.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Try some feeders like guppies. Try and find a trusted source. Otherwise dip the guppies in some salt/methylene blue/prazipro. Better feed than let it starve especially if skinny.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ask what the fish was fed at the store and for long they had it.

If you have only had it for 2 days, the ATF may simply be adjusting to your tank and water. It may take several days. Good-looking tank you got.

It doesn't look awfully skinny, so I'd hold out and try non-live feeds - pieces of small, bait size thawed fish always worked for me.

How big are the danios? The ATF will probably eat them, sooner or later, whole or bite by bite.

BTW, is it really a GATF? I tend to agree or rather think "big eye" but wondering what other members think.

See also this thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/what-kind-of-african-tiger-fish-is-this.709673/

Last edited:

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Definitely not a gatf. But the little guy looks healthy albeit a bit skinny. Definitely try guppies and also cut fish. They usually accept tilapia readily. Also tigers tend to rely on their sight more than anything else for hunting / scavenging food. I’m wondering if the decor might be hindering his ability to look for food..? I would try cut tilapia and love guppies first and if he still doesn’t eat then I recommend taking out the decor.

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
Sunny journey had a good idea about the decor. I used to start these guys in smaller aquariums. I'd always buy some guppies, after they ate those a few times I'd feed blood worms. I always had the best luck with blood worms at that size. Then I'd move on to shrimp and cut fish. Good luck!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Definitely not a gatf. But the little guy looks healthy albeit a bit skinny. Definitely try guppies and also cut fish. They usually accept tilapia readily. Also tigers tend to rely on their sight more than anything else for hunting / scavenging food. I’m wondering if the decor might be hindering his ability to look for food..? I would try cut tilapia and love guppies first and if he still doesn’t eat then I recommend taking out the decor.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store