Help with herbie emergency drain

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My theory or what I have always understood is that as long as the e drain is 1/8 below the main drain that is all you need. Is that correct
I'm not following? The E-drain should be "taller" than the primary. When all things are up and running, the primary has the full siphon. The E-drain will only have a trickle. So the E-drain is essentially at the water level or slightly under.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If you over fill during a wc and the water gets above the E drain does it level off when you start the pump up ?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
For WC, I usually fill up the tank directly until it reaches the same level as after I turned off the pump and the water had drained to the sump. This is also the lowest point of the teethe of the overflow wall. The water in the overflow at this point is still at the level of the main drain.

When you turn the pump back on, the tank will refill back up with water from the sump. Eventually the overflow will "equal" out when the drain is fully siphoning.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Standpipes adjusted by taking them out and cutting them shorter. If you wanna make them longer, just put in a longer piece of PVC.

That's why you don't glue the standpipes into the bulkhead. You might wanna adjust the length, or drain the overflow box. Don't glue the standpipes.

But, OP doesn't have standpipes, so he's limited in how much he can adjust the level of his drains.

PVC coupling.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Emergency drain test successful but I can't say for sure. It did NOT run on a full siphon (thankfully) and the water level stopped at a certain level. Turns out it was just my paranoia that was holding it back. the reason being is that my overflow box is REALLY high up in the tank. The tank is maybe a few millimeters from the brim but the drain is working. Trust me, it's not fun tearing down your tank and scraping nasty mushrooms with a combat knife for a month if the tank floods and the water gets trapped under the stand and mildews. And I know this is common but I HATE fungi.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Glad it worked out.

PVC coupling.
So you could cement or glue the standpipe and couple it to a smaller peice. Then cut that peice if need be ?

I do WCs in my sump for tanks with them.
I never understood this. If yoyr removing the water from the sump at some point doesnt the water level in the tank fall below the oeverflow. Dont you have to remove the water from tank ?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Glad it worked out.

So you could cement or glue the standpipe and couple it to a smaller peice. Then cut that peice if need be ?

I never understood this. If yoyr removing the water from the sump at some point doesnt the water level in the tank fall below the oeverflow. Dont you have to remove the water from tank ?

You can adjust the pipes with couplings, yes. But I recommend doing it right the first time. And as for your second, the sump shares the same water volume with the tank, I turn off the return pump before doing so though.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
You can adjust the pipes with couplings, yes. But I recommend doing it right the first time. And as for your second, the sump shares the same water volume with the tank, I turn off the return pump before doing so though.
But as your draining water from the sump doesnt the level in the tank eventually fall below your overflows, then only drain from your sump ? Forgive my ignorance im only just learning about sumps

Im envisioning the water in the tank droping a few inches until it gets lower than the overflow , the oeverflow loses siphon at that point only water from the sump is being drained. How would you do really large wc's ?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store