help with id on this catfish

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
long story short i ended up with this cat from a buddy he was giving up on the hobby and im stumped on what exactly ive got here im thinking its a very close relative to the tigrinum any input much appreciated ,excuse the heavily scratched tank it was a old lobster tank and the only tank that was suitable for him size wise,

thanks

cat.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I would expect ( but don't know) that this would be a very hard fish to find in the hobby since it is supposed to be endangered and illegal to remove from rivers under 60 cm. I have never seen one for sale in UK in almost 40 yrs.

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I haven't heard of them being endangered, but I expect they cannot be easily exported out of Brazil, like many other commercially-harvested species.
They are a pretty common export out of Peru, but I think most of them are shipped to SE Asia.

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
a readily available cat sp... but not often kept... great score for free O.P.! they usually go around $100-150 at that size. Def. a great "show cat" to aquire..and you are correct in that it is similiar to a b. tigrinum... they are from the same genus "brachyplatystoma".

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I haven't heard of them being endangered, but I expect they cannot be easily exported out of Brazil, like many other commercially-harvested species.
They are a pretty common export out of Peru, but I think most of them are shipped to SE Asia.
Agree. I've read that slobbering cats are a staple in commercial Amazon fishery.

It's ridiculous that the prices for this fish are $100+, given how many are caught and eaten in SA.

Tripletail

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
everywhere
I have been told they seem to not ship too well, and alot die in transport . Which might be because exporters hold them too long prior to shipping out of SA. The ones I see for sale are usually pretty thin . Maybe cost more because of shipping loss

Redtailedcat

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2010
Ontario Canada
a readily available cat sp... but not often kept... great score for free O.P.! they usually go around $100-150 at that size. Def. a great "show cat" to aquire..and you are correct in that it is similiar to a b. tigrinum... they are from the same genus "brachyplatystoma".

its the first time ive came across one , definitely an attractive cat , well at least i was some what close on genus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store