Help with my tank

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
K well i got my tank the galss has not even a scratch in it which is goot the problem is it has a steel bottom and it was a sltwater tank so it's got alot of suface rust on it but it is still very solid i am wondering it grinding it down and puttin some sort of sealer (any ideas???) would work cuz that would save me alot of money. Anyway here are some pics, the tanik is 7 feel long 3.3 feet wide and 3 feet tall, it's got a 1/2 horse jacuzzi pump going thru a big canister that i am thinkin of loading with lot pot scrubers for filtration if i don't got with the new eheim filter the lines on the bottom of the tank are connected to a chiller which i will prolly take out so here are the pics

0408071206.jpg

0408071206a.jpg

0408071206b.jpg

0408071207.jpg

0408071207a.jpg

WolfFisho1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
just put some sealer on it! dont grind to much or else it might not be able to support the weight of water! so make sure you also have a solid stand underneath or else snap!

sanitred(or however it is spelled!) pond armor stuff like that would work for this!

HJ60

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
canada
"dont grind to much or else it might not be able to support the weight of water! so make sure you also have a solid stand underneath or else snap!"

You'd have to do a lot of grinding to worry about effecting the integrity of the steel.

My advice would be to not grind at all. Get a wire wheel for your angle grinder and clean it up that way. Assuming you're from BC, you can go to Crappy tire and pick up a Jobmate grinder for less than 30 bucks. They have the wire wheels there too.

Regards,

sa

GJC

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
San Diego
HJ60;795403; said:
"dont grind to much or else it might not be able to support the weight of water! so make sure you also have a solid stand underneath or else snap!"

You'd have to do a lot of grinding to worry about effecting the integrity of the steel.

My advice would be to not grind at all. Get a wire wheel for your angle grinder and clean it up that way. Assuming you're from BC, you can go to Crappy tire and pick up a Jobmate grinder for less than 30 bucks. They have the wire wheels there too.

Regards,

sa
Agreed. You could also get a rust reformer product. Remove loose rust and paint this on. It goes on white then turns black. Paint over it with any color.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=30&SBL=1

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
That sounds like a good idea guys thanks

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
would the rust reforer work in the tank or will it be toxic to the fish???

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The rust reformer will convert the rust to a black compound that acts as a primer for what ever you are going to seal it with. As long as you seal it with a good product, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Another reason not to grind is the glass can chip or fracture if you nick it while grinding.

Also, your 'canister' is a Hayward pool filter. It looks like a model C-800. This may come in handy if you need to order parts for it. You can get a filter cartrige for it for mechanical filtration, and then stuff the inside with the pot scrubbers for bio-filtration.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
By the way, since it was used as a salt water tank, the bottom may be stainless steel. I say that because the rust doesn't look as bad as it should. Find a magnet and see if the bottom is magnetic. If it is stainless steel, the magnet will not stick to it.

If it is stainless steel and you are going to use it for fresh water, don't worry about the rust. Fresh water will not cause it to rust further. The rust layer will act as protection for the rest of the stainless steel.

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
K well it's not stainless but it looks like it may have been paintes or sumthing before so thats prolly why it isn't rusted so bad. So rust-feformer then a sealer i guess.

My other idea would be to cut a sheet of plywood to fit (i have a full sheet of 3/4 lyin around) and then seal that with epoxy or sumthing just wondering how well the silicon would adhere to the epoxy???

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
It should seal pretty well, however I don't have experience with using the two under water for prolonged periods. My only experience with them is with my boat, but I keep it on a trailor.

I'd still go with the rust reformer and use the epoxy paint directly on that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store