MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi
Just receive this fish yesterday and noticed it today that it has these holes in its head. I think it might be HITH but not sure since I have never dealt with it in the past. I asked the seller and was told they didn’t notice the holes.
F1DE514B-AD46-4264-9CBD-8556469B1F18.jpeg
my questions are ilia this HITH?
Is it still curable? The fish is active and not sure if it’s eating yet since it’s not even 24hr since I go it

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi
Just receive this fish yesterday and noticed it today that it has these holes in its head. I think it might be HITH but not sure since I have never dealt with it in the past. I asked the seller and was told they didn’t notice the holes.
View attachment 1452163
my questions are ilia this HITH?
Is it still curable? The fish is active and not sure if it’s eating yet since it’s not even 24hr since I go it

It looks like HITH. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/oscars-chronic-hole-in-the-head.714574/page-3

Reactions: kno4te and Eric1115

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
Thank you! I did read the sticky twice but still has some questions.
Being this fish has this condition before I acquired it and since has been removed from the condition that caused HITH and added to my tank. I have 18 tanks ranging from 55 to 290 gallon and has not had a fish with HITH so far, which hopefully is an indication I am doing alright.

My questions are
1. Do I still need to treat the fish since it is no longer in the condition that caused the HITH and hopefully is now is a condition that don’t cause HITH? Will it recover now without medication?
2. Since I have already add it to my tank, if I need to treat, I will have to treat my entire tank since I read it can transmitted?
3. Does it’s current condition looks bad and curable?

TIA

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
More of a chronic condition that needs to to be maintained. I’d still treat it even though it’s moved to another tank. I’d feed some hex shield and add a round of triple sulfa. It’s not transmittable per say unless there’s a opportunistic infection with hith present. Seen worse but likely have some remnant scars left behind.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
Great! Thank you! I will try that and do more frequent water change and also do the Epsom salt and garlic to the food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store